HELP, some advice and empathy needed

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Veteran
I am beginning to stress over next year...not the curriculum (okay maybe a little lol), but more "how am I going to manage".

I have a hands on 11yo..okay let's say I have to stand there with my whip (not literally, but I have to have a visual of him) to ensure he is working. My 7yo...does well, but really likes constant praise, so once again...gotta be there. I have my now 5yo who likes to do work, but rushes through everything he likes and will fight tooth and nail if he doesn't. Luckly the 3yo and the 5yo can be working on the same things. Then there is the 2yo whom I wish to do some tot school (hands on stuff) with to keep her occupied and semi-quiet while everyone else is working. Finally there is my special needs 18yo who will be working with my 7yo...so honestly they will be able to bounce off one another and help each other out.

So here is my fear...everyone is going to pull me apart!!

Do I get the olders up early and help them with everything that will need my attention (math especially) so that when the youngers get up I can focus on them while the olders work on things that don't "need" me so much?
My 11yo reads great...my 18yo has a 1st-2nd grade reading level but doesn't often remember at the end what the reading was about. My 7yo does not yet read, so my 18yo will honestly be able to facilitate this with him (she is quite the phonics reader).

I am a bit of a micromanager, don't intend on it, I just like to be involved.
Please tell me this is doable and I won't lose my mind or limbs in the process.
Boys: 12, 8, 6
Homeschooling, frugal, finally not CDing, college student, co-op teacher, open minded, passionate momma who has been married to the love of my life for almost 20 years!!
May 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You'll be fine!

The people who fail are those who are blindsided by something like this. You already know which issues you'll face, so you can be prepared. YES, I would get the olders started first. Start striving for independence a little at a time so you'll have more time with the youngers. Rewards work well. "If you do this section well by yourself, you won't have to do this section." Things like that. I think it's wonderful that the 18 & 7 can work together with reading, too!

I have some micromanaging blood in me, too. I understand! I'm really trying my best to relax, and trust me, I HAVE relaxed a lot over the past couple of years. The PS teacher side of me doesn't want to let go, though.
May 15th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Try doing a circuit schedule: Start with the older ones, do a lesson, then send them off to work independently, then start the youngers, the same way. Bounce back and forth between the two and set time limits for them to complete the independent sections. that way they know you'll be coming back and exactly when (timers can help too with letting them know what to expect and when. Then give rewards for working well independently.

You will be fine though, what ever way you figure out how to balance everyone. You know your kids well and will find a way to meet everyone's needs. Using their skills to help you is a great idea too - it gives you a break and builds their self esteem too.

May 15th, 2011, 09:39 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree that you will do fine since you are aware of what some of your challenges will be. I also agree with starting the older ones and get them doing independent work before jumping in on the ones that need a bit more attention. By the time you have the younger ones going on task where they could do a little on their own, the older group will be ready for their next task, and you will just trade off between them.
May 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Veteran
Thanks ladies, I needed that encouragement!

I always stress myself out and then end up being what I refer to as a "lazy" homschooler. The kids get done with their lessons so quick and I don't push to hard to make them get ahead, but it works and no one feels a tremendous amount of pressure lol.
Homeschooling, frugal, finally not CDing, college student, co-op teacher, open minded, passionate momma who has been married to the love of my life for almost 20 years!!
May 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
There's nothing at all wrong with finishing lessons quickly. If they've learned what needs to be learned that day, why keep going? It'll only frustrate them. Let them have time to explore and learn on their own. If you really feel they need more after their lessons, have them work on learning games/websites or read books for a certain amount of time. Games and books should be their choices, though. Just say "read for 1 hour", but don't specify what to read if it's not part of their curriculum. KWIM?
May 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Marksgirl0502's Avatar Veteran
I would feel a bit overwhemed, too! We have 4 kids, but younger than yours with only 2 school age. Some days I feel pulled apart, with the 5yo doing math, the 7yo needing help with reading, the 3yo wanting ''busy work' so he can feel like he's doing school too! I just told my hubby yesterday that I may switch to schooling through the summer and taking a break in the winter, since it works so well to have the kids play outside while I work with one, then rotate. That way the 1 and 3yo are kept happy and out of the way, and I have quiet one-on-one time with the older two. I know this only works on nice days, but it's been a sanity-saver for me!
May 18th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran
I am beginning to feel more comfortable with the unofficial plan I have put together in my head lol! I also justread smokity frocks ebook (go facebook her and like her and you can get her book) and am feelingetter. I just really put way to much thought into eeverything lol!

Sorry for the typos, I can't see what I am typing...darn phone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search