Hello, I'm new and would LOVE a step in the right direction

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I have three kiddos. My oldest is going into school soon and I'm getting nervous because my other two will not be in school in time. I have noticed the time frame of age is moving and my children will be in school at the age of 6. I need to get started and I'm tired of waiting. I want to learn more on homeschooling, how much it will cost or economically benefit the family, I also want to know the rules if I face the school board or how it works since its illegal if children are not in school. Im really interested and I have the patience for the kids. I am in college myself but I go online. I want my children to learn from me. I also was considering putting them into middle school after they are old enough just because I want them to get a social experience. As you can tell I have a ton of questions and no answers because I don't know where to look online to start. Anyone have any suggestions they would like to share? I will be glad to take them!

Thanks so much
May 18th, 2011, 11:59 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You're definitely in the right place.

I'm pretty new to homeschooling myself and as far as we know right now it's only temporary for us so I won't be able to give you much help or advice from personal experience but there are plenty of people here who can. No worries. It's not as scary as it sounds. (and this is coming from someone who swore she'd never homeschool)

As far as the law is concerned, homeschooling is leagal in every state but the rules vary a lot depending on where you are. Hopefully someone else can give you more specifics.

Financially it's only as expensive as you make it. Read through some of the recent posts in here. I think there was just a discussion about this.

Quote:
I also was considering putting them into middle school after they are old enough just because I want them to get a social experience.
IMHO, middle school is probably the worst time to send them to school for a social expirience. I wouldn't worry too much about socialization. Honestly, it was one of my biggest concerns when I first started, but the wonderful mamma's here helped me realize it didn't need to be.

Good luck!
May 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME! First things first... rules! What state are you in? That will determine what you need to do to keep your homeschooling legal. Most don't require you to start until age 7, but some are age 6. Some have little or no requirements, while some require a high school diploma, annual testing or portfolios, etc. There's a wide range.

How much you spend on homeschooling is completely up to you. You could easily spend $200 for just one subject, or you could do everything free. Depends on how much time and effort you're willing to put in, your teaching style, your kids' learning styles, which "extra" subjects you feel are important, etc., etc., etc.

No question is stupid. Jump right in and make yourself comfortable here!
May 18th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hi ladies! Thanks for replying. It makes me feel a little better knowing im not alone I did however look up k12 which was not expensive, by any means, in VA. I am in NC which would cost me money. however, if I were in VA Carol County It would be completely free for their courses up to 8th grade. I do realize it can be completely free on my part. In NC you have to start reports at age 7. I would be here with her teaching her through the day. The school she would be going into is a year round school so she would be in school by the end of July. I don't know if I can do that. I also want to do part time work. I just dont know if its hard or would need requirements. I was told to call the education board in my state as well. Are there any websites you can share? You can send them by message if you cant post them.

Thanks so much again for your replies.
May 18th, 2011, 01:52 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!! So, then where are you at, VA or NC? We can give you some links as to the laws for your state or you can just go look them up yourself, click on your state and then it has your info there.
We can't send you any links yet, you have to have 10 posts to be able to send/receive messages. We do have several links posted above with lots of freebies. Are you looking for something secular or nonsecular?
May 18th, 2011, 08:36 PM
Veteran
Haven't read replies, so forgive me if I repeat anything!

HSLDA can tell you the laws for your state, but it is not illegal to homeschool.

Expense...it can be as expensive or an inexpensive as you chose for it to be. You can utilize library, internet and such to keep costs down for book materials. You can utilize materials that you have at home (beans, marbles, rulers, brownies, etc.) For math and counting and basic life skills.
It can be as complicated or as simple as you wish it to be.

If you have a facebook account, go "like" Smockity Frocks. She has a free ebook about homeschooling...it is right up your alley. It is 50 pages long, about a 10-15 min read...I read it this evening...it will give you an idea.

Sams Club even carries books to help you with teaching. They are less than $20 ea and while it doesn't go into great detail about a topic (math, spelling, letters, reading, language arts), it gives you a good surface education and then you can branch off from there.

I will be schooling 5 next year and have a 2.5 year old. Ages are 18 (she has special needs and will be working alongside my 7yo), 11, 7, 5, 3.5 and 2.5. I have already stressed myself out quite a bit on if I can do it or not (hs just 2 this past year), but I am feeling confident and at peace with my unofficial plan.
Boys: 12, 8, 6
Homeschooling, frugal, finally not CDing, college student, co-op teacher, open minded, passionate momma who has been married to the love of my life for almost 20 years!!
May 19th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I didnt think you could teach any outside children considering you would need a degree. I'm learning new things everyday! I will go on FB and like to see if I can catch a book. My husband was home schooled and he really wants to do this for the kids. My oldest wants to go to school. I may allow her to experience school and see if she likes it. I will, however, be teaching my twins because they will be 6 by the time they are able to attend public school. Its too long of a wait for me and I want my children to learn at this critical stage.

in_mommy, I live in NC right now. I am still contemplating moving to VA. As of t his moment I live in NC.

Thanks so much for your replies. It makes things so much easier to know I can get information if I need it.
May 19th, 2011, 06:53 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillind View Post
I didnt think you could teach any outside children considering you would need a degree.
Those are all her kids. Some states allow you to HS OPK's (other people's kids), but some don't.
May 25th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillind View Post
My husband was home schooled and he really wants to do this for the kids. My oldest wants to go to school. I may allow her to experience school and see if she likes it.
My husband is also the reason for us homeschooling. At first I was not at all confident about being the teacher of my own children, but as they've grown I have come to realize that I will be the best teacher they could have, and the one-on-one experience the best for my daughter (Dr. has tried to diagnose her ADHD, however, I refuse to diagnose or medicate children unless it is life-threatening and I know how to deal with her lack of focus by now).

My oldest also wants to go to school (she'll be 5 in August). After explaining, more times than I can count, she's finally come to terms with staying home with me and her younger sister (2) with the "socialization" aspect coming from dance class in town (we live in a rural part of WY). There are so many ways to socialize your children without putting them in school, especially if they already have interests, ie: 4-H, Karate, dance, tumbling, gymnastics, etc. It's quite a drive for us, but once a week trips for dance class and library visits have been doing the trick for us the past couple months.

I recently took a class online via Ed2go . com (I can't post links yet, sorry) called "Homeschool with Success". The instructor is Beverly Schulz. She homeschools her children. There are actually a lot of homeschooling courses on that site, and you simply go through your college to take the courses. It is only $89/course, and they are only 6 weeks long, starting every 6 weeks. I too take online courses through my college, so I found this class very convenient, and it's low-key. No pressure at all, and you will have so much information by the end that you will probably end up sorting it to what is more important to you and what isn't. I have all the lessons in a binder with all my State and County information, as well as curriculum info.

I can imagine how you feel right now. I've been researching this for more than 2 years and only in the past week FINALLY decided on what curriculum to go with (though I did try to use K12, but my county is uncooperative in that arena).

I hope this helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search