Drawing age question...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Super Mommy
My son is 4. He'll be 5 in July, and he absolutely loves to draw. I've been trying to 'figure out' where he is with different subjects, and I was wondering what age you ladies would consider his drawing to be at. I don't push him by any means as I want him to continue to enjoy what he does, but I'm wondering if I should give him some further lessons or something in art to encourage him.

Thanks!! Here are some of his recent pics. He can easily do 8-10 drawings a day, lol.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Drawing Development in Children

I would call this 5-6 year old work. It's much better than the drawings my son does, and he's 5.5 yrs old. Ask him what he wants to do. He might enjoy a class or lessons, but he might be content exploring on his own.
May 19th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
It's about like the drawings my son makes and he's the exact same age as your son. I don't know if that's behind, normal, or ahead, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Very nice drawings

On stuff like that, I go completely child-led. If the kiddo is interested and wants to take lessons, or visit an art museum, or something I would go with it. If they don't and just want to spend their time creating, drawing, or whatever else have you, than that's ok too. I don't suggest things though(so the kiddo doesn't think it's something *I* want). I wait for them to express it.
May 19th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. I definitely don't want to push it! I'm just trying to get a feel for where he is in different areas. If you don't mind me 'talking' through this out loud to help me, here is some of what I have figured out. Feel free to give me some tips if something stands out

1. He has absolutely no interest in learning phonics (he's stuck at blending sounds together and gets bored), BUT he loves to write his own stories so we do a lot of me writing it first and him copying it so he doesn't misspell things. Of course the stories are complete with detailed pics, lol. I don't push the phonics as I know it will come in time when it clicks. However, he is EXTREMELY verbal. If everything could be conversational, he would be in heaven, and his vocabulary is large.

2. For math, he's somewhere around K to 1st grade stuff I'd say. He's learning basic time, money values, basic addition (of his own volition, mostly). I just follow him with this mostly.

3. His handwriting is pretty good when he's doing it for school time with some instruction for reminders, but on his own at play, he's still getting letters backwards at times.

4. Science he has really taken off with. Because of his curiosity he can name most planets, some of the organs in the body, etc. He just got through drawing the skeletal system and organs via pics from google. He asks lots of questions about chemistry and what happens when you mix different things together, and he likes to conduct his own 'experiments' with things from the kitchen or outside.

5. Musically, he can sing in tune and has been picking up harmonies which are really cute, by the way! Of course, when he's off, its all I can do to grin and bear it!

I think that about covers things academically and usually I just follow his lead.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 19th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
The drawings look age appropriate to me, and if it's something he really enjoys I would suggest an art class just for the fun of it. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find an art class that just lets him play with lots of different mediums and get really messy LOL If he does the class and doesn't like it, he can always stop going too. My girls loved to tumble around, so I enrolled them in a gymnastics class. Arianna suddenly became afraid of tumbling I was though I was going to unenroll her. Then last week she suddenly started doing all the tricks and loving it LOL

May 19th, 2011, 07:56 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think his drawings look age-appropriate, probably a little better than average for his age.

My 6 yo's drawings look similar to this. If it's something he loves, right now he's so little I would just let him continue to experiment with different mediums. Other than that, the most would I do is get him an age-appropriate "How To Draw [airplanes, or whatever]" type of book.

[/url]

May 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran
Personally, I think his drawings are great! Fantastic fine motor and attention span for a 4 year old!

My Mia loves to draw. We spend a lot of time drawing. Maybe rather than starting lessons, you try lots of different drawing mediums - crayons, pastels, markers, pencils, and different textured paper. Let him start exploring and experimenting more. I love art, personally, so this is my "thing".

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
May 20th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! We try and do specific 'art' time on Fridays, and that's when I let him use some oil pastels while he draws, and he enjoys that. I'll look into getting some other types of mediums also. Liz, art is my 'thing' also. I love oil pastels! lol

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search