Foreign Language

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Is anyone teaching a foreign language at home? Evelyn has been asking daily to learn Spanish. I've been doing some research on Rosetta Stone and their homeschool program looks great, especially since multiple students can learn at the same time as long as they are using the same computer. I'd love to hear from someone who has personal experience with that program or other foreign language programs.

I am thinking of doing this over the summer when the older boys are here - so it would be for ages 12, 10 and 5.5 years old - oh, and me too. I think we may start with German because my husband is fluent and we are with other native speakers once a week at German dance class.

May 20th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We're doing Spanish right now. We'll need to, even if we didn't want to do it, as the kids will eventually need to be fluent in it. But I am not using any program for it. Once I feel they've a very good grasp on Spanish and are very fluent, we'll move on to another language. But that will be a ways down the road. I don't want to introduce more than one at a time.
The kids were actually interested in it long before I even brought it up. I've been teaching them some words here and there since birth, but never really focused a ton of time on it. I'm not fluent, but I can read Spanish and speak some(I am much, much, much better at reading it). It's a little bit tricky because most programs and resources you find, will use *proper Spanish. All good and well, but it's not the Spanish they are going to run into. At least not anywhere we'll be going, or most places in the US for that matter.
So I have someone making them sound files that we'll be using as well eventually. Using more slang, common phrases, words that are just a little bit different, with different dialects. So far so good.

Today in the grocery store Leo was screwing around and I told him to hurry up, he looked me straight faced and said "dame un minuto" lil smartypants. (give me a minute, lol). I have no clue why he said it that way, usually he tells me to hold my horses. But I don't think he knows how to translate "hold your" properly, lol he knows caballos though. He's always telling the cats "callate" (shut up) when they're being particularly ornery.
I taught my niece how to say loco, lol. I taught her how to say cuckoo not too long ago when she was here for a weekend. She only says it to my sis, which is hilarious. But she asked me to teach the baby some basic Spanish words. So now she calls her mommy loca all the time I'm such a nice aunt, haha.
May 21st, 2011, 06:35 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We're doing Latin first, and then Greek. He can pretty well pick up any western language after learning those two. We're using Classical Academic Press.
May 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We too are doing Latin. From there, we will move to Greek and then Italian (the italian is per her request). Like Chrystal we are using Classical Press as well.

May 22nd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
K12 offers foreign language starting in 3rd grade. Little Man will be taking German for a year or two, then move on to a year or two of all the other offerings (French, Spanish, Chinese, & Latin) so that he can determine for himself what he wants to take. He wants one language because his brother takes it but we want him to start with one that his dad or I can help him with first.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
May 22nd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
My girls have learned some sign (ASL) I am not fluent in it, but can do some phrases and such, so have been teaching the girls some here and there. I haven't used Rosetta Stone, but a friend of mine used it with her daughter and loved it. They were lucky enough to get it through their local library.

May 23rd, 2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
We're doing Latin first, and then Greek. He can pretty well pick up any western language after learning those two. We're using Classical Academic Press.
Same here. On all counts. We'll combine other curriculum as we go but we're starting with CAP.
May 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
We are doing German as well. I have a new sister-in-law and niece who are German (my brother lives in Germany with them - stationed there in the Army) and a very dear friend who is German. It helps that DH's family is German too. Many motivations for that being the choice. I don't know much, if any, so right now I am using the Berlitz New Basic German to teach me at the same time as the girls (I checked it out at the local library). I have found some fun DVDs and CDs on Amazon for teaching young children German; I think that is where we will go from here, as the Rosetta Stone one is very expensive. A little out of our league at the moment.

If they were learning Spanish, that would be easier on me. I grew up in a Hispanic immigrant town in Southern CA and took Spanish in high school. Oh well... maybe they will want to learn another language once we've mastered German.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search