Given our recent discussion on teaching styles ...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 24th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My co-op board posted this quiz this morning. My score was in the combined rage at 54. That is almost in unschooling range which we aren't, but our curriculum is pretty project and literature based which skewed the score a little bit. DH got a 62 so we are pretty consistent in our styles. Some of the questions weren't worded well so it's not perfect, but still fun

Homeschool Views Teaching Style Quiz

May 24th, 2011, 09:29 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Interesting. I got a 67, but I would've placed myself in the 90's or 100's, I imagine.
May 24th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Combined Parent & Child Directed:
Parents who choose a combined Parent and Child Directed teaching style feel more confident in their family's ability to decide what's important to study and what isn't. The types of curriculums available for this style involve more hands-on creative activities and also more independent study and thought time. Many times nature and art play a larger role in the lesson plans. There is more emphasis on your child's personal interests and imagination. The use of varied curriculums works best with this type of teaching style.
That's accurate.
May 24th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
84. Quite accurate considering we use Calvert School. We do use classical literature, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

May 24th, 2011, 03:22 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a 76...Combined parent and child directed. Kind of surprised me actually. I figured I would have been with the Teacher Directed or Traditional approach.

May 24th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
58 - I was really shocked, I think of myself as a "teacher directed" or "traditional" style because of my background in public education. I guess what I don't like about public school pushes me closer to the "child lead" descriptions LOL

May 25th, 2011, 10:33 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I ended up with a 57 and I think that is the right group for us, but I thought I would be on the higher end of it. Interesting poll.
May 25th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I got a 63, which I think is pretty accurate.

I start off my 4 1/2 year old on writing, tracing, puzzle projects, and then leave her to do it alone while I do my own college work or some household chores (this is while my 2 year old is napping). We do flash cards and other things together too of course, but "nap-time" was always "me" time since we had kids, and I'm happy we've been able to keep it that way so I can get more things accomplished.
May 26th, 2011, 04:40 AM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, we haven't officially started anything, but I took this based on how I plan to approach our days. Got a 63. Makes sense, I kind of figured I'll fall in the middle of parent & child led.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search