Hi - new here

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2011, 11:01 AM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! I have been lurking for the past few days and am really excited to see you sharing so much info with each other. I have have learned a LOT just by reading the most recent couple of pages of posts.
My name is Kristi, I'm 29 and my DD Thea is almost 3.
We never really wanted to send her to preschool and had planned on sending her to a private christian school for K-8, but she had been asking to go to school so we did go to the open house of the PreK ran by the private school. I was discouraged because they were very open about the fact that they really focused on K readiness for the 4 years olds. So Thea would have had the same thing repeated both years. She already has a huge vocab, her core knowledge is great because we always teach/explain things to her and she just seems to understand thing very well. She can count out loud to 15 and knows how to spell her name, though she only recognizes a handful of letters visually. Anyways, we only wanted to send her to PK for the socialization, but we decided that it was more important to not let her get bored with academics before she even entered kindergarten.
So we have joined a weekly playgroup so she can be around other kids regularly and I already do some work with her at home. I have decided to start a preschool curriculum with her if she takes to it. Probably Brightly Beaming Resources Letter of the Week.
We found out the private school spanks (surely I would be able to sign something disallowing that, but i haven't spoken to them yet) and that is a huge problem for us. So now that i am getting excited about working with her at home for the next couple years, we are considering continuing homeschool as she reaches school age.
Sorry this was long, but that is my back story. Glad to have found this group (I am a member of the Aug 08 PR and PAL PR) and sorry in advance if I have lots of questions in the near future!
May 28th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Welcome! I am pretty new around here too and the ladies here have been very helpful! My name is Jill, I am mommy to twin girls who are also 3. We are starting out pre-k program this summer too.

May 28th, 2011, 09:19 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Jill!
I am so excited to see someone starting home teaching girls Thea's age. I bet we have a LOT to share in the near future with each other! Your girls are so adorable!
May 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Welcome! I'm Rachael and I have two boys, Jacob (6) and Rylan (1). Jacob is just finishing up first grade, we have ONE more day! I don't post here a ton, but I'm always around if you have questions! Feel free to PM me!

May 29th, 2011, 02:09 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
Welcome! I'm Jaime, homeschooling mama to a 6th grader, 4th grader, & pre-k in August.

May 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I'm Amanda and my DD Leah turned 3 in April. We are planning to homeschool and I've been soaking up all the info from this board as well! We're working very informally on letters right now, though I hope to develop more of a preschool routine in the fall.

May 29th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hello there

I'm Michelle. I have three kiddos. Alexis is 12 and just finished 6th grade, Alyssia is 10 and just finished 4th grade and Leo is 7 and just finished first grade.
May 30th, 2011, 02:08 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME! Sorry for the delay in responding to your post. My laptop died over the weekend while I was away. Please jump right in!
June 1st, 2011, 03:20 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say hi. I'm Anna. I have four girls. We're currently homeschooling my youngest to finish up pre-k over the summer.
Glad you're here. Looking forward to getting to know you.
June 1st, 2011, 06:53 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! Glad to meet you. I am Jennifer and have 3 kiddos. I cant believe the school still does corporal punishment!! I would have a huge problem with that as well!
June 2nd, 2011, 04:42 AM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
Hi! My son Jet is 3 (close to 4) and we are just starting homeschooling him, too. I was very hesitant on sending him to preschool just for socialization as well. That quickly morphed into "I don't ever want to send him to school".

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search