YAY Scantron results :D

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
The girls took their scantron tests last week. I got Alexis' results back but not yet Lissy's not sure why. Probably get hers Monday.

Alexis has been struggling a bit, especially in Math. She went from a "typical" 6th grade Math to Algebra and Geometry. Now granted they've done some Algebra in school here and there, but nothing like this. That is ALL her Math was this year, nothing but Algebra and Geometry. This 6th grade curriculum is more along the lines of what the 7th-8th grade(and even some 9th grade classes) are doing. It was a HUGE leap for her, and very hard. I'll be honest and say that Math is NOT my strongest subject, either, lol. I even struggled with a lot of it. It was definitely stuff I was doing in 9th and 10th grade in school.

Anyway these are her scores(and the district average and such). She's not here this weekend so I get to give her the good news on Monday when they come back

Math-
District Average-2800
Her Score-2997- This puts her into "Advanced" which is 2973+ . When we first started she took a similar test to put her on level and she was below average with a 2558. At risk is below 2562!
Her National Percentile ranking is 96%

Reading-
District-3100
Her Score-3296- This puts her into "Advanced" in Reading too which is 3190+. Her original score in Reading was a 2954 which had her as "On Target".
Her National Percentile ranking is 98%

I'm so very proud of her. This will just make her day. She really took her time on the tests and towards the end of the test they start giving them questions that are well above their level. We were pre-warned both times that these tests may be pretty advanced for the girls and not to be disappointed if they didn't do too well.
May 28th, 2011, 08:52 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Congrats! I'm sure she'll be excited!

May 30th, 2011, 03:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Hooray!!! That's great!
May 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Awesome!!!!! Wtg!!
June 1st, 2011, 08:57 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay!! Great job!!

If you don't mind me asking, how come they had to take a test? Does your state require it? I think I have to start testing my kids in the future, every other year or something. Just curious.

[/url]

June 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Well technically they didn't *have to take it(although the school, K12 says they require it, nothing will happen or anything if they don't take it, though. There are plenty of kids who don't take them).

The test is more or less a progress/placement type thing. It basically tells you where you are at, the first time you take it. The second time you take it, determines the progress for the year. With K12 they take them in the fall and the spring(it's an online test, not one they have to go somewhere to take). We took our first one right after we enrolled though. That's not typical but since we were coming from a public school to K12 I thought it would be a good idea to make sure their placement was actually accurate.
During the test the first part of it is usually easy for kids, but as they progress through it, it gets harder and harder and goes above and beyond their actual grade level, just to see what they do know. Alexis' results put her at a 9th grade level in Math and a 10th grade level in Reading. She's in 6th grade. They don't put a huge emphasis on the test or anything though. So it's not like the testing will determine if a child goes on to the next grade level or not. It's more or less used to cater to their exact needs. The results when you get them are broken down into parts. So you can see exactly which areas of Math and Reading your child might be struggling/on target/advanced in. I'm not a huge fan of state testing, although I know it can be valuable. But I really like this test a lot. At any time during the testing the child can stop, click the stop button and they then have 2 weeks to finish completing it(and if they don't finish in that time, they have to start back over at the beginning). But it's really not a long test, they just don't want kiddos getting burnt out on it. The Math got terribly difficult at the end though, but it was supposed to. I had one heck of a time understanding the questions lol. The reading was easy, the first part was more vocabulary work. The second part of it had to do more with comprehension.

There is a state test they take every spring too-but that's the same testing most schools take as well. Math, reading and next year they are starting the science one with 5th grade. That *is required by the state(actually a lot of states have required testing for kids yearly). In some instances you can avoid taking the state testing in your home state if you homeschool, but here in Ohio they make you jump through a lot of hoops and make it darn near impossible not to. It's easier to just go do the testing than it is to turn in a portfolio(which is the other option we have here). They have a tendency to deny portfolios for no real reason, just to be annoying. There are some states that aren't nearly as difficult, if at all, on homeschool families though.
June 1st, 2011, 05:14 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's AWESOME they're doing so well!! Way to go girls!!
June 1st, 2011, 08:22 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cool, thanks for the explanation. That's nice they could stay home and take it at their leisure. It would be a lot less nerve-wracking.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search