help with resources for my 4th grader???

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM
.Jessica.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hello ladies...im just visiting I am NOT a homeschooling mom...wish i could be but I dont not have the patience you ladies have.
so here is the deal...my 4th grader (who has done amazing til now) had a very hard year this year. He BARELY passed 4th grade. Im not sure if it was because we are new to the school or because his teacher didnt like him or just because he didnt want to do it. Maybe its a mix of them all. So, I wanted to get him a work book or program to get him caught back up so he is ready for the 5th grade. What do you ladies suggest? I was going to look on amazon and see if they have some sort of work book that I can have him do before playing or something...kind of like he is still in school just not as long. maybe there is a website that has some exercises that he can do? What do you ladies think?? Any suggestions are very much welcomed and appreciated.

May 29th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
check out your local library for summer activities. Ours does all kinds of fun things for kids throughout the summer. This year we have a "book club" where the kids log what they read and can earn prizes at the end of the summer if they read a certain number. They have get together type activities to encourage the kids to keep reading through the summer. Something like that may be perfect. It would be fun and encouraging plus he could read a lot of different types of books to help build on science and social studies too. As for math there are lots of math games online. One of my favorite is hoodamath.com and mathplayground.com - again it is fun and engaging and he can practice basic facts as well as other math skills such as logic puzzles. My final idea is a journaling project. Have him keep a journal to write down his summer adventures. Require one entry a day and tell him it can be real or made up (if he wants to write about a trip to the moon so be it ). Then the day before school starts put the journal into a tupperware (the cheapo ziploc kind) and seal it up tight (you may even want to duct tape the edges) then bury it in the yard somewhere. The first day after school ends the next year dig up your "time capsule" and he can have fun reading what he wrote the previous summer. To add to this you can have him add mementos too.

May 29th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions...I will have to make a trip down to the library. Thats a great idea. And I love the time capsule idea too..see you are very creative I just dont have that kind of brain. ahhaha

May 29th, 2011, 11:04 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I think online resources are just awesome. Here I can't take my kids to the library, I'm not walking through the ghetto to get there, lol.(that's where it sits, smack dab in one of the worst areas of this town). So that's out for us. We use a lot of websites though.
Alyssia just finished 4th grade as well. These are some of her fav sites(my other two enjoy them too, but a couple of these links are specifically 4th grade)

KidsKnowIt.com - Internet's Most Popular Educational Website For Kids - Thousands of Free Educational Games And Activities
ABCya! Fourth Grade | Kids Computer Games & Activities
4th Grade Math Learning Games For Kids | Learning Games For Kids
FunBrain Game Finder
BrainPOP - Animated Educational Site for Kids - Science, Social Studies, English, Math, Arts
Prongo.com is a Fun, Interactive and Educational way for kids to learn.
Math Play - Free Online Math Games
Educational Games ? Free Kids Educational Games at Knowledge Adventure

I need to find the rest of the list, it may be on the other computer. The kids don't usually use mine. When I find it, I'll post them

If you can think of any particular area he may need a little more help in I can probably narrow it down too. We literally have hundreds of links, lol.
May 30th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Veteran
Grade 4 is unfortunately the year that a lot of children get a little stuck, or simply plateau, because they are suddenly looking at such deep subject areas - it's no longer just remembering letters and numbers, but it's understanding the why and how and sythesising and evaluating.
So, I would maybe try some sort of workbooks (find a grade 5 math and literacy- this is for the skills practice and consolidation - if all these concepts can come easily, then he can use his working memory for the higher order thinking skills) and also maybe try some sort of project that he chooses - be it space travel, railways, stamp collecting, baseball, whatever. So long as he is engaged and happy.

Good luck! And I really hope next year is happier for you all!

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
May 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Is there a particular subject that was really tough, or was the year generally bad for all subjects?
May 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM
He wasnt bad like he didnt get it. He is a very smart kid and understands what is going on. He did all his work, put it somewhere (backpack, folders, desk who knows) and he would never turn it in. Also, he was trying to be the class clown and make everyone laugh. So im not sure what i should do.

May 31st, 2011, 04:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
In that case, I don't think extra work is going to fix the problem. Sounds like something happened to affect his self-esteem, so he's trying other methods to get attention (from you, teachers, friends, who knows?). I would have a heart-to-heart with him. A lot of kids start having issues as they approach middle school (which is why middle school has always been my favorite age to teach). They're very impressionable from everyone around them. They need public heroes as well as private mentors. They need both parents and friends. Too much of one and not enough of another can be disasterous. They need more and more freedom, but they also need more and more boundaries.
May 31st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
It would be good to encourage him to channel that energy in other directions, maybe join a sports team or community theater or take gymnastics or other performing art opportunity. A chance to be in front of an audience in an appropriate way and a chance to find a niche for himself may help a lot. Plus he would then also have a coach to answer to for grades as well.

May 31st, 2011, 09:05 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree with Chrystal that extra work isn't what he needs. He was probably struggling to fit into a group of kids that already had their "set groups" and he just didn't fit right in, so he thought by being "cool" and not turning in work and goofing off that people would like him. I don't see any harm in having him do some work over the summer just to keep his mind fresh but don't force it.
June 1st, 2011, 01:24 PM
Ok maybe I wont give him that much work...this parenting thing is really hard.

This is the thing we had him in football for the last 3 years. Then we moved to this school and he was doing good for the first quarter then after that something happened. The second quarter he did bad, 3rd was worse. We came up with what we thought was a good goal for him. We told him if he could get no U's on his report card (not get E's or G's just dont get any U's) and we would let him play football again. But he got 8 U's the last quarter!!!! So I dont know if we should let him play football or not now. I know he needs to play he gets a good sense of belonging when he plays. Good sportsmanship, responsiblity, teamwork etc. But I dont want to make it seem like our deal was just words. Gah this stuff is impossible. You ladies are a great help.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search