Siblings as teachers??

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Abbey has asked (begged) me to let her take over Ellie's homeschooling for the summer. She thinks it'll be a fun project. I think it's sweet. I'm all for it especially if Abbey the math wiz (don't ask me where that came from) can make any progress with Ellie on the number front. Obviously I'll still be closely supervising.

So I was just curious....Have any of you had older siblings teaching younger ones? How did it go? Would you consider it in the future if they wanted to do it?
June 3rd, 2011, 06:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
That's the kind of question that will get you bashed on a lot of not-so-friendly homeschooling forums out there. You'll hear "let kids be kids" and "don't turn them into little adults so soon" and all that. You know what, though? People don't know YOU and they don't know YOUR KIDS. You do.

I remember teaching my little brother a lot when I was a kid. I remember teaching piano lessons starting when I was around 12. I was an assistant for the children's program at the library every year from 10 to 18. I was a teacher for Bible classes at (a very tiny, rural) church.

Teaching is in my blood. It's all I've ever really wanted to do, and I've found a million ways to do it. I even like to mentor fellow hosts here at JM! If your CHILD is the one asking to teach, by all means, let her teach!
June 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
If I am blessed with more kids, I would definately let the girls teach their younger siblings. Sometimes kids can put into terms that are easier for other kids to understand way better than us adults! Of course I would supervise and it would probably be for reviewing purposes mostly. Lets face it though, anyone with an older sibling learned a lot from them - probably things mom and dad didn't want you too - so it might as well let the older ones teach the good things too! In my classroom, I often take my kids to younger grades to do activities that allow my students to teach the younger kids - it reinforces things for them and the youngers often respond better to the older kids than they do to the teacher. So long post to say: go for it!

June 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I think it can be a very valuable experience for kids-of pretty much any age.
Whether it's the fundamentals, or simply just reviewing/reinforcing things they already know. Kids can learn a lot from their siblings, older and younger.
Mine are always teaching each other, lol.

I honestly believe that *most children, would benefit from something like that. When you homeschool you have a lot more opportunity to allow your children to do that too. Sometimes they might be able to teach something we're struggling with or even teach something in a way we haven't thought of. The girls help Leo with his money all the time. He really is not very good at it, he tries though. But they don't mind helping him. Even when the count it for him, they do it right there in front of him, out loud, so he can *see what they're doing and how they're doing it.
June 4th, 2011, 11:47 AM
mommytokem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry I usually just lurk here, but I would definitely do it, my oldest already does it with his younger sisters when they are sitting at the table with us or when they are playing.
June 5th, 2011, 01:29 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say go for it! Your oldest can probably put things in a perspective that might be easier to understand for the lil one as was earlier stated

also in the public schools they do this all the time! I remember when my daughter was in 1st grade they paired them up for reading time and the teacher paired her with a boy who was drastically behind in reading. Well Amber ended up teaching him better then the teacher could and he was doing very well by the end of the year.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
June 5th, 2011, 05:22 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why not! I don't think I would *make* my older child teach a sibling, but if they wanted to do it and I thought they may be capable (even with some help from me), I would definitely let them! It's awesome, IMO, that it would give you a bit of a break as your older child plays mommy/teacher!

There have been times where I couldn't get my 6 yo to understand something and I finally say, "Titus (my oldest), will you explain to Isaiah how to do such-and-such??" And, by golly, Titus will tell him in his own words how to do it and Isaiah will say "Ohhhhhhh, I get it." LOL!

[/url]

June 9th, 2011, 12:07 PM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's kind of what I thought you all would say.
Chrystal, I think Abbey is a lot like you in this respect. She's a peer tutor at school and is always volunteering with the little kids at church.

It's day 4 and so far so good. The only thing I have to watch out for now is that Abbey doesn't take it too seriously. She wrote up a lesson plan for the week. I'm all for being prepared and organized but I want her to enjoy her summer too.

Thanks for all your responses.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search