Loving books on tape!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
My girls are only 3 and have been fighting naps. If they don't sleep they are absolute bears come dinner time (not good on gymnastics day when we have to be there at 5pm). I noticed though that when I read to them they laid still and listened even if they couldn't see the pictures. So I brought home all my picture books on tape (cd actually) that I had in my classroom at school (my school kids are done with them now for the year as there are only a couple of weeks left). So far the last three days have been wonderful at nap time! The girls are excited to lay down and listen to the story and love picking out their book. I set it to repeat, and by the 2nd or 3rd go around they are out like lights.

June 5th, 2011, 03:14 PM
youngwoman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, that's great!

June 5th, 2011, 05:16 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good idea!! I used to have my kids listen to a book on tape every night when they went to bed. It was our "ritual" and helped them to wind down in bed. The only thing that got annoying was they started to bicker about which tape to put in every night "It's my turn to pick... No it's my turn.. Last night you picked Curious George..." etc, etc. lol

[/url]

June 5th, 2011, 06:05 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I did the same thing when Ben was that age, and I'll start doing it for Daniel soon, too. Works like a charm! Even on days that he didn't sleep, he still had enough down time to recharge his batteries.
June 5th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our library has Plaways that have entire books on a self contained device. No CD's, just plug in headphones and go. The kids LOVE them.

Here's a the site that shows what they look like : Playaway® and Playaway View™ preloaded audio and video players

June 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Weird! I've never seen those!
June 6th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran
What a great idea! *the books on cds for nap time, I mean!

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
June 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
We do them too, use them for bedtime and occasionally when we just need some quiet time. The older 2 cant go to sleep without them!!
June 6th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraJo29 View Post
Good idea!! I used to have my kids listen to a book on tape every night when they went to bed. It was our "ritual" and helped them to wind down in bed. The only thing that got annoying was they started to bicker about which tape to put in every night "It's my turn to pick... No it's my turn.. Last night you picked Curious George..." etc, etc. lol
Yeah I am waiting for the bickering to start, so far though they have unanimously picked - must be a twin thing LOL It'll probably happen when they have listened to each one once. By then they'll have favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison79 View Post
Our library has Plaways that have entire books on a self contained device. No CD's, just plug in headphones and go. The kids LOVE them.

Here's a the site that shows what they look like : Playaway® and Playaway View™ preloaded audio and video players
I have seen these. They are really neat. I bought one for a gift for a teen I used to watch. He was blind (and other health issues) and I did respite care for his mom here and there when she needed someone. He loved books on tape and too be read to - it was the perfect gift for him.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search