placement questions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 5th, 2011, 02:34 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so I just sat down with Amber and had her do the state standardized test for 3rd grade, she just finished 2nd grade this Friday at the Catholic School. We are planning on homeschooling her this next year so I figured this would be good to do since the State requires she takes the test. It focuses on math and science . Well she did the online test and received a 90% total on the test ( an 85.7 %on math, a 100% in science) so I am thinking 3rd grade next year may not be the best course for her but how do you handle skipping grades in homeschool?

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
June 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Just work at her level. Ignore the grade stated on the outside of a book because grades don't matter unless you plan to go back to public/private school at some point, and because all publishers vary in what they expect an x-th grader to know. If you enroll her in academic co-ops, classes, etc., put her with her academic peers. Otherwise, keep her with age peers mostly. You have to judge each thing that comes up separately. The right answer for you might not be the right answer for someone else.
June 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree, work at her level. You will just encounter frustration and tears if you try forcing things on her that she is just not ready for. I had to do the same thing with Whitney. She had finished 1st grade in private school, but was not ready for second grade work. She is still a bit behind in math, but is doing great. I put her back in 1st grade math, so she is working a grade behind there, everything else she has caught up on and in some cases is working above grade level now. Math is just something that she was struggling with but once she hit multiplication it all just clicked with her and she is flying through it all now. She is about half a grade behind now in math.
June 6th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I agree too with working with her where ever she is. I do know that different programs have different skills at different levels, but I would probably still go with something aimed at "third grade" rather than go for something aimed higher. She did well on the state testing, but it doesn't cover a lot of skills that are needed to be completely ready to move up to the next level. I would say to go with the third grade things, and if they are too easy just move quickly through them. At least that way if there is anything she is missing she wouldn't have to back track - it'll be a confidence booster to move quickly too

June 7th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Go with her level, not necessarily the level stated on the curriculum. They vary widely. For example, at our review yesterday we were told that Calvert (what we use) runs 1 1/2 grade levels above the public schools. That means that even though according to the grade level number of Calvert vs. public school, my son is behind, he's actually a little bit ahead. The best thing to do is go with placement testing for whatever you choose to use and let her go at her own pace.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 7th, 2011, 09:44 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We probably will return to public schools when we move to an area with an acceptable school system or a private school if we can afford it again. I will have my degree this fall in Homeland Security and would like to be able to use it, ideally I want to go to Emergency Management and Planning for a law enforcement agency or another first responder. But with the baby coming in the fall and with the schools here being so awful I am waiting for our next duty station to apply for positions within my field.

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
June 17th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
where can i find the placement tests?are they free?
June 17th, 2011, 05:30 PM
What curriculum are you using?

Smaller on the Outside

June 17th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
well i want to use abeka for math but didnt for our first year

we used abeka for history,apologia for science

reading we didnt use a curriculm since he's reading really good
June 17th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I don't think Abeka offers a placement test. I've never seen one. It tends to be advanced compared to a lot of others, though. It's not quite as advanced as Horizons, but still ahead.
June 17th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
there arent any general ones?
June 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM
No because different curricula are at different levels even when the grade number is the same and have different scopes and sequences. I'd call A Beka and ask about placement.

Smaller on the Outside

June 19th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by israelsofiaplusone View Post
there arent any general ones?
Using the same general test year after year will tell you where your kids are (how they're progressing from the previous years), but it won't match them to the right level curricula. For general testing, I like Online Reading Assessment, Math Assessment and Supplemental Instruction. The reading and math tests are both for PreK thru 12, and while each are $20 on the site, you can get them for $15 through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op (with free membership). The math test will break down several subsections for each grade, so you can look at the scope & sequence for different publishers to match up the best fit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search