Speaking of testing....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2011, 07:44 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
If testing is NOT required in your area, do you test?? If so, what test do you use?

We do not have to test in Indiana, but I have been thinking about testing Whitney just to see where she is but not sure which one I want to go with yet.
June 6th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Testing isn't required here. I don't think I'll test the girls when they get older, not state testing anyway. It is one of the reasons I wanted to homeschool - too much pressure and teaching to the test. I plan on keeping a working portfolio of the girl's learning and they will take chapter exams and have assignments to measure their learning.

June 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The past two years, I've used Online Reading Assessment, Math Assessment and Supplemental Instruction just so I have an idea where he stands based on state standards, where the weaknesses lie, and where progress has been made. In the future, we'll be using the Woodcock-Johnson, which is also not a pass/fail sort of test. It tells you what grade level a child is working on for each subtest. It's much more comprehensive (and expensive!) than LetsGoLearn. I might use it every 2-3 years rather than every year.
June 7th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We are not required to test, but we do the CAT-E Survey every year, once they get to lesson 100 of the grade level. Mainly I want them to get used to the bubbling in scantron, timed sort of test in a low stress environment before they have to take them in a high stress environment (college, SATs, ACT, etc.).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 7th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No testing required in TX, but I used the same reading test that Chrystal posted above. I will probably do that yearly just to see progress. Right now math is pretty easy to see where she is, the online program we are using sends a detailed report of what she's working on an the equivalent grade level so I can watch her progression. At the beginning of each year I take a look at what she would be expected to know at our local public school and use that as our minimum standard.

June 7th, 2011, 10:04 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I have to do testing or a portfolio each year. I opt for testing. It is worth the $25 a test

June 8th, 2011, 01:46 AM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
I don't have to do testing while we are stationed in Germany, but we chose to do the California Acheivement Test just for our own records and to get him used to some kind of formal testing.

June 8th, 2011, 12:46 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No testing required in Illinois and I do not know if we will test or not. Probably will look into the couple of test/surveys posted above to help us get an idea of what level she is working at, but, if so, won't be doing that until grade school age.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search