Why did you origanally start homeschooling?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 7th, 2011, 07:42 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Why did you origanally start homeschooling?
Did you start at the pre-k or K level?
Did you or do you plan to continue through high school graduation?
Just curious.
I am still very new to this and am obviously starting at the preschool level, I do not like the principals taught at public school which is why we began considering homeschooling. I also might be a little selfish in that it took a long time to finally be able to have a child - maybe I would have a hard time letting her go off to school, especially when I have the luxary of being at home with her. But I cannot answer the last ? yet...
June 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just started this past november and my dd was in the 2nd grade. We aren't certain what level we are going to. For my dd, there is HUGE chance she will be homeschooled for her entire school career, but ds we are looking at only the elementry years for variety of reasons. We will take it year by year and we will look at the needs of each child and make a decision for each child, not for the kids as a whole (if that makes sense).

June 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are starting for 3rd grade because I am unsatisfied with the standards in this state coupled with the financial strains of private school. We probably wont continue through high school since I know around 2 years or so from now we'll probably be moving again so hopefully to an area with a decent school system

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
June 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I started homeschooling after putting my kids in ps... I pulled them out because my kids personalities were changing. Way too much homework and I had a calling from God. I had been praying about it and felt a calling to educate my children at home. The Bible is weaves thru out the day. My oldest went thru 2nd and my middle child just to K.... I will teach thru high school

June 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We started homeschooling when my oldest daughter was 5. She was in Pre-K at the time and was reading chapter books and had the vocabulary of a 5th grader so I was worried about the transition to K, and if she would be challenged at school. We started in January of this year to make sure we could make it work (DH and I work opposite shifts and split schooling duties). I guess my biggest reason for homeschooling was that at the younger elementary levels our local PS doesn't have programs for kids who are well above grade level in some areas. I didn't want her to skip K and go into 1st because her writing is still at a K level and I think that would have been frustrating for her.

I'm not sure how long we'll continue. DH and I both agree that it will probably be until middle school and after that we may look at a university model school so they have some class time and some home instruction. I love that right now she can progress at her own level and she is never bored because we do a concept until she masters it and then move on. I am sure it will become more complicated as our other children get older and we are teaching many kids on many different levels but I look forward to the challenge!
June 8th, 2011, 10:30 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I started right from the beginning. Like Alison, my kids are very advanced compared to their peers, and I know they'd be bored in school. I also don't agree with the morals or general "acceptance" of sin that is brainwashed into PS children. Yes, we should have a degree of tolerance for people who don't understand God's will, but we should NEVER tolerate the sinful acts or lifestyles themselves.
June 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for the input!
Chrystal, you almost took the words out of my mouth. That is one of the main reasons we have issues with public school. you can be kind to people without having to accept everything and we think it would be confusing for a child to come home and Mommy and Daddy tell her that her teachers are wrong. How would she decifer what she should and should not listen to at public school?
And we also don't like the whole 'everybody's a winner' mind-set. When I was in school not everyone got a participation ribbon just for showing up to something! I would rather work together to find the things my child is exceptional at or work hard to let her figure out how to be good at things, but she will never work hard if she is always told that she is great even when she doesn't succeed. We want to teach her how to figure out how to be successful, not just instill in her the feeling of success.
June 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
We are just beginning our homeschool journey as our only kids, twins, are now 3. I knew I wanted to homeschool when I was entering college. I had a friend who was homeschooled and I wished that I had been in her position, then in college I met several others who were homeschooled and I was very impressed by their drive to succeed and how "together" they were when I felt so scattered. Then I became a teacher and after seeing how broken the education system really is, I knew I didn't want my kids there. I believe in learning for learning sake, not in learning how to pass a test. I do plan on homeschooling all the way through.

June 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We started homeschooling my youngest just this past March after a terrible expirience with the public preschool she was attending. She has special needs and just wasn't getting the care she needed. (That's putting it mildly. I'm trying to be nice.)

I never wanted my children in public school for many of the same reasons that have already been mentioned. My three oldest started in a church preschool and are now in a wonderful K-12 private schoool. Ellie will start kindergarten there in August. We'll see how it goes and re-evaluate our decision as we need to year by year.

I never even considered homeschooling before this year. I just didn't think I could do it. But now I know it's a great option for us and won't hesitate to continue with it if that's what's best for us. I'm not likely to homeschool my older girls at this point but you never know. It might happen.
June 10th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Veteran
I'm probably more of an "afterschooler". My children are still little - Mia is in kinder, which is 3 full days, but she's wanting more. She's the eldest in her class and she's starting to read whilst the class are still doing Letter of the Week style curriculum. I'm fine with that - a bit of repeptition doesn't hurt, and her letter formation needs work, but it's also important for her to learn the social skills of getting along with others. This has been quite a struggle this year, as her class has several dominant girls, Mia included, who all like to be the boss!
So I love to do activities with Mia and Aiden at home. I'm a public school teacher, and teaching is what I love. But, some how I have to pay the bills I am trying to find a balance. I always want to be involved in the Mia and Aiden's education.

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/
June 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last year was our first, and possibly last, year of homeschooling. I did it because my son wasn't being challenged at ALL with his school work. He was very bored. We're sending him back this coming school year but I think I'm gonna ask them to test him and maybe move him up in some classes to keep him from being bored.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
June 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Many reasons. The reason that convinced hubby was the horrible school ratings we have. So we started to pray and believe God wants us to homeschool. Another reason was because my son(and have since found out my daughter) is way advanced for his age so he'd be bored and not challenged.
June 18th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Azmomto4's Avatar Veteran
We started in January homeschooling for various reasons. The moral and social junk that is at school was one reason, for sure. Another was the fact that the teachers were overwhelmed, and I was ending up teaching the lessons to my kids, anyway...and why send them to school for 7 hours and then spend MORE hours at home? My dh has an odd working schedule and rarely gets weekends off, so this is a better fit for our family, too. And another reason (even though this originally wasn't really why we considered it) is because two of my kids are competitive gymnasts. My dd is 18 hrs a week in the gym and my son is 12 hrs a week. This way, they have time for school, family, play and friends, and can still stay active in a sport they both truly love. It is way less stressful for us, and the only thing I wish I had done differently is that we would have homeschooled a long time ago!!! The kids love it, and we will continue all the way through high school

June 19th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I've just started on the board and in this section, but I wanted too chime in.

I started homeschooling because we moved to a city with a VERY messed up school system. You need "apply" to PUBLIC school and select the schools you want too go to. But seeing as it's overpopulated and under budgeted the few select schools that aren't full of crime and crappy teachers are full ten fold before you even apply. Being active in the community, donating to the school board, and running programs for the school actually get you a better chance of getting into your preferred school. It's a POPULARITY contest! What a joke!!

My kids are approaching K and 1st. I know we'll do this for a few years, but suspect I may put them in school if we can move to a better school district.

Quaking Canopy Soap Company
quakingcanopy.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search