burnt. out.

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I haven't posted here in a while, but I plan to hang out here regularly (even if I don't post) and hopefully some of this new-school-year enthusiasm I've been sensing here will rub off on me.

We haven't officially finished our school year, but I'm planning to put the kids through some summer school. DH just started a new job (after six months unemployed, yay!) and he will be working nights. I guess I kinda got used to him being able to help keep everybody busy... I've gotta get used to this new routine before trying to bring out the books again. From the beginning we have mostly unschooled, but my kids just aren't turning out like John Holt said they would. I'm finding they probably would have done a lot better with more structure from the beginning. It's really tedious for me because I really wish they were all creative, self-led, disciplined little geniuses, learning math and science and writing skills because they suddenly got interested in building something we just happen to have materials for. The fact is, though... It's not like that! Another fact of life- when you are outnumbered by your children seven to one, you just can't let them go all different directions according to their own whims. Or, at least I can't. Maybe somebody here has some advice on that.

Anyway, quick intro for those I haven't met... we've been homeschooling since fall of 2000; I've got seven kids ranging in age from almost 1 to almost 16. We live in the country and raise a couple of dairy goats, some chickens, and we talk about how we really should do a big garden someday. I work four days a week at the local grocery store and play organ/sing for our parish. I'm also a newbie runner and would like to someday study to be a certified personal trainer.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 12th, 2011, 11:09 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome back!! You've been missed!

Burn out usually happens for me around the fall/winter holidays. I just don't want to do anything in the fall because we're SO BUSY!
June 12th, 2011, 06:29 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I think you're doing pretty good... I was burnt out in Nov! LOL

BTW, I love seeing pictures of large families. All your kids look so different! And I see you're Catholic... My husband and I are thinking very seriously about joining the Catholic Church.

[/url]

Last edited by TaraJo29; June 12th, 2011 at 06:32 PM.
June 14th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
This is a rough time of year for us too - I work full time and DH stays home, but since I teach we switch positions in the summer. It means though that we have a couple months where we have to juggle babysitters and such until my school year ends. This summer is the first time we will have a homeschool routine though so I am hoping that fall wont be too difficult to transition. Taking a break at transition times is a great idea though to help things smooth out again. Oh, and I'm Jill, mommy to three year old twins. Nice to meet you!

June 15th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hi Chrystal, I've missed this board too!

Hi, TaraJo (sorry, I don't know your name)... I have to admit I've been burned out for years- getting catalogs for the new school year always kinda freaks me out. Yep, we're Catholic- prayers for your family's discernment. If you'd like to pm me you can. There's a Catholic Mommies board here at JM, too.

Jill, it's nice to meet you, too. Your girls are adorable, such a cute siggy!

I'll be back when I have a minute to chat more... I'm going to be late for work.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

June 15th, 2011, 08:41 PM
meamommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi! I am new here, and just started homeschooling our oldest, who is 8, this past February. Being thrown into it in the middle of a school year I was totally overwhelmed and often wondered what I was doing, but am a little calmer now that I have the summer to plan and get organized before this fall. I plan on starting preschool with our 4 year old this year too. We also have an almost 8 month old little girl, Amelia too.
Ethan 5/23/07 5 lbs 8 oz 17 inches
Amelia Jane 10/25/10 5 lbs 14 oz 18 inches

June 16th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meamommy View Post
Hi! I am new here, and just started homeschooling our oldest, who is 8, this past February. Being thrown into it in the middle of a school year I was totally overwhelmed and often wondered what I was doing, but am a little calmer now that I have the summer to plan and get organized before this fall. I plan on starting preschool with our 4 year old this year too. We also have an almost 8 month old little girl, Amelia too.
Hi, nice to meet you. Your children sure a cute!

I'm going to be looking at some enrollment options for the older children, Robert and Raechel at least. It freaks me out that they should be in high school. It is going to be interesting to try to implement more book-based academics after so many years unschooling, but more and more I'm feeling like this is what we need to do. Pray for us!

June 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
mamma_anna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just wanted to say Hi. I'm Anna. Just homeschooling my littlest one at the moment. I can relate to the struggle of trying to figure out what's best for your kids and realizing it may not be what you had first thought it would be. I will be praying for you and your family. Hope you'll be able to figure out something that works for everyone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search