Curriculum help!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 15th, 2011, 09:14 PM
meamommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey ladies! I haven't posted in here since I first took Miles out of school to homeschool him this past February. I was so overwhelmed but have had some time to look at a lot, figure out some things that do and don't work for us, and am excited to start a new year this fall! He will be starting third grade, and I am planning on doing some preschool with our 4 year old as well. I hope to get lots of ideas from you ladies, and I am trying to pick out books/curriculums for them now. Ethan will be doing preschool, so any suggestions for things for him, and Miles will be in third. He is VERY into science, and I am looking at the Apologia does anyone have any experience with it? He is very good at math but hates doing it, and he is still a super messy writer so he still needs a lot of writing practice, but it's like pulling teeth to get him to do it. He also needs more work reading. Any suggestions anyone has would be great! Thanks!
Ethan 5/23/07 5 lbs 8 oz 17 inches
Amelia Jane 10/25/10 5 lbs 14 oz 18 inches

June 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by meamommy View Post
Hey ladies! I haven't posted in here since I first took Miles out of school to homeschool him this past February. I was so overwhelmed but have had some time to look at a lot, figure out some things that do and don't work for us, and am excited to start a new year this fall! He will be starting third grade, and I am planning on doing some preschool with our 4 year old as well. I hope to get lots of ideas from you ladies, and I am trying to pick out books/curriculums for them now. Ethan will be doing preschool, so any suggestions for things for him, and Miles will be in third. He is VERY into science, and I am looking at the Apologia does anyone have any experience with it? He is very good at math but hates doing it, and he is still a super messy writer so he still needs a lot of writing practice, but it's like pulling teeth to get him to do it. He also needs more work reading. Any suggestions anyone has would be great! Thanks!
Welcome back!! We started out with Apologia for science, but just didn't care for it, so we went with something called Considering God's Creation and really like it. Math I chose to use Math Mammoth and it has done wonders on helping DD1 to get caught up and understand it better. I also use this math with DS as well and he enjoys it too. Check into Handwriting Without Tears for handwriting and just have him practice. Maybe do a test to see where he is for Explode the Code and see if maybe he needs a review of some of the basics. For history we do a combination of Time Travelers unit study and All Through The Ages, which is a learning history through literature. It is similar to Beautiful Feet, but better IMO, it covers a lot more and has tons more resources than Beautiful Feet and I can find anything I want so far at the library. English we use Easy Grammar, and they do great with that as well! I hope this helps you out a little maybe.
June 15th, 2011, 10:23 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by meamommy View Post
Welcome back!

When you say he needs more work in reading, what do you mean? Phonics? Comprehension? Speed?

I've been using Apologia for 2 years (4 of the 6 books) and love it! We'll do the last two books next year, and then do all 6 again. (We do them on a semester basis, so we'll cover all 6 twice - intro and in-depth - before starting middle school.)

What does he hate about math? What have you been using already? Does he prefer workbooks? Hands-on? Computer?

I like Abeka, Pentime, and Handwriting w/o Tears for handwriting. (I don't like H w/o T for cursive, though.)

For preschool, you don't need to buy anything. You can use sites like Brightly Beaming Resources, Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics, Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics, and things like that. You can also get books at the library. Preschool shouldn't take more than 20-30 minutes a day other than craft activities, field trips, and snuggling with a good book or things like that (unless the child is begging for more, of course).
June 15th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks ladies!

Reading - he needs to gain speed mainly, maybe some extra phonics review, he's great at comprehension. A lot of it is a confidence thing. (thank you public school. grr)

For finishing this year in math, we were loaned an abeka book and neither one of us liked it that much. I actually got a spectrum little workbook for him and he seemed to like it a little better. Just showing him flashcards he will do a lot better, he just gets bored with it I think? I like him to do workbook things because I figure it helps with handwriting more than computer, but he loves the computer too, so....

Another question - where can I find testing, for instance like placement tests if that makes sense? To make sure he should be going on to third grade materials in things, etc. Is there anywhere online I can do that?

I will check out all the suggestions so far thanks!

June 16th, 2011, 09:42 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
For placement options, you can either take the placement tests for the curricula you're interested in (like some of these - free, and only applicable to the book in question), or you can do Lets Go Learn! to take the math and reading tests for grade level. It's a K-12 test that will tell you the grade level for each subset of questions. It's not a pass/fail. It's completely on the computer (by a talking monkey... very kid friendly), results are instant, and they can be compared with state standards for each state. Each test is $20 through their website, or you can sign up (free) at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op to get them for $15 each.

For reading, I'd suggest two things: (1) If you want to brush up on phonics, get the later books of Explode the Code. (I'd probably start on about book 5 or 6 if I were you.) Each workbook is appx $7, and you don't have to do all the lessons or all the exercises within lessons. Just do what needs work. (2) Go to the library and get books on tape/cd. Following along while someone else reads will really help speed and fluidity. Besides that, it's free!

I LOVE everything Spectrum has to offer, however, it's not a complete curriculum. I'd use it for brushing up, getting a head start, or keeping the brain in gear over an extended break.
June 16th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
My girls are pre-k too. We are working on letter of the week - I am just putting it together myself though, no premade curriculum. I plan to introduce a letter each week and it's sound (focusing only on the common sound for each and short vowel sounds for vowels) through some worksheets pulled from various sources and games (think "find the block with a g" type things). I want to make a memory match game where they have to match the upper and lower case letters too. I encourage the girls to count things for number practice (they love to count how many of a certain toy they can hold as the clean up before bed) and we'll begin a little calendar routine to associate numbers that we count to the numbers that we write as well as a little understanding of time in the sense of months and seasons. With the 4th around the corner we have been making flag crafts, reading books from the library about flags, and singing "your a grand old flag". the girls are also coloring pictures of the butterfly life cycle and reading books about butterflies after a trip to a butterfly exhibit where they got to see real butterflies, caterpillars, and chrysalises. Our science and social studies will continue to be the same idea - based on experiences and interests as well as seasonal occasions.

I don't know a lot about the other curiculums mentioned for your older child. I do know that I really like everyday math - I worked with it as a school teacher - and have already picked up some copies of it for the girls as they get older. Some people don't like it because it doesn't focus on "traditional" algorithim methods - but that is what I love about it. They present several ways to + - x and / and let the student choose which he wants to use. I wish I had learned some of these ways because it really does improve mental math abilities. I also love that it isn't set up as a "master and move on" type method, but rather introduces and revisits several times. The student is always reviewing previous skills.

June 17th, 2011, 10:57 AM
D@mnedYankee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a newbie for Homeschooling this fall with a daughter going into 3rd grade as well. For the handwriting could you get him into writing letters to family/friends that live far enough away he doesnt see them very often? Or even set up a penpal thing with another Home School family. DD needs to work on hers as well and thats our plan. I am hoping it will help with neatness, organization and proper letter format without being too structured and hopefully kinda fun for her

Thanks Julia for the great siggy! <3
June 17th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Oh my gosh the little penpal idea sounds SO cute! Miles would love that!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search