Getting Ready For Kindergarten

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
luv2bemommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think we're going to use "How To Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" and MCP Math. Has anyone had any experiences with these? Do you recommend looking into something else? Any ideas are welcome!
June 17th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I used the same for reading for my son and strongly recommend it!
June 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
100 Easy Lessons is a love it or hate it type of curriculum. You'll get great reviews and terrible reviews... not much in between. Personally, I liked Explode the Code. MCP is pretty popular.

Oh, and WELCOME!! (I should've started with that. Sorry. )

Last edited by BensMom; June 17th, 2011 at 08:53 PM.
June 19th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Sandra314's Avatar Homeschooling Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Sandra314
We did not have any success with "How To Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons." What may work for one child or family may not work for another. I have friends who loved it while others did not. We are having good success with the Explode the Code books.

Married for 14+ years to the love of my life. Currently TTCing.
June 19th, 2011, 07:14 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I've used 100EZ Lessons with three of my children now. We never found it necessary to complete all 100 lessons, and easily transitioned them into beginning readers about half way through. I also like MCP math for the elementary grades.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

June 20th, 2011, 05:54 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
lol, I used both of those for my first kindergarten year. Weird.

Well I ended up quitting 100 Easy Lessons b/c my son was actually not quite 5 at the time and I thought I was pushing him too much. He was getting frustrated and I was losing patience, and I thought that was not a good thing that I wanted to continue. So we quit and later started Explode the Code which my son liked to do a lot more. Sometimes what's most effective is just what your kid enjoys doing more, not necessarily what is the "best choice." So you will find out! One specific thing I will say about 100 EL is my son STILL, over 3 yrs later, says the long "eeee" when he sees one e because, if I remember right, one of the first things they teach is that sound, along with teaching the word "the" (pronounced "theee"). It drives me nutty telling him over and over that by default he should sound the e out as a short e as in elephant. But I know he picked this up from that book and old habits are hard to shake. He also still says "theee" frequently which I'm trying to get him to quit doing b/c it makes his reading sound so much less natural.

Anyway, as far as MCP Math, it's a no-frills curriculum, but I used the whole book (K & 1st). I like the illustrations. It gives a LOT of problems sometimes, so we would skip some if I thought he already understood and it would just be exasperating busy work. My son learned how to carry numbers and add multiple numbers in 1st grade which I didn't think was too shabby. I may use it with my daughter who will be in kindergarten the year after next. Oh, and I like how they teach writing of the numbers... with the x where they are supposed to stop. That worked well for us.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search