Hmmm, kindergarten

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 21st, 2011, 07:07 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So, if you've read my first couple of posts you'll know that I have an extremely fast-learning going-to-be-4-year-old daughter who is just eating up preschool workbooks as fast as I can buy them. She loves them. She knows colors, shapes,numbers, sizing, comparisons, her alphabet, letter sounds, has a huge vocabulary, writes her letters very well, and is dying to learn to read.

So I was really wondering: why not just skip this last year of preschool and do kindergarten this year? It will save me money and will provide her more of a challenge. I've picked up a few kindergarten books and I have no doubt that she could do the work and would tear into it with relish ("Aha! Finally a challenge!"). She's ready to read and write and I was planning to teach it this year (in the fall) anyway.

My only hesitation is that, with her birthday falling in October, this would put her two grade levels ahead of kids her age, and I don't know if that's advisable. What do you ladies think?

I don't doubt that she would love the work and the extra subjects (she loves, loves, loves seatwork and projects), but I'm hesitating because of her age. Am I overthinking this?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 21st, 2011, 07:29 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
yes I think you are over thinking LOL I would just roll with it at where she is. Not every kid has to be at the same place at the same time. I think it would be worse to not encourage the enthusiasm and have her become bored and disinterested in learning all together. You may find too that she hits a point where she needs to slow down a bit and then she will be on par with her peers - or she may always be a little ahead - either way she will be just fine.

June 21st, 2011, 08:26 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The beauty of homeschooling is that you have a truly individualized education and grade levels don't matter anymore. My daughter is 5 and should be starting K this year. She completed a preschool program and we started homeschooling in January. She is currently about on track for K in terms of her handwriting, is about 2nd grade for math and 5th grade for vocabulary. I wouldn't worry about it - just enjoy watching her grow and learn
June 21st, 2011, 09:33 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison79 View Post
The beauty of homeschooling is that you have a truly individualized education and grade levels don't matter anymore.
Exactly!

As long as you plan to continue homeschooling, grade levels don't matter. My 5 year old son is 3 years ahead in his weakest subject (math) and 5 years ahead in his strongest (English & Latin). He's been on an adult reading level since he turned 4. My 2 year old will start kinder this Fall when he turns 3. He's already on a 1st grade math level and kinder reading level. Some kids will continue to be ahead, and some will slow down at some point. With homeschooling, it really doesn't matter.

I'm a firm believer in challenging all children equally. I didn't say TEACHING them equally. It doesn't take much to challenge a child who has learning issues. It takes quite a lot to challenge very bright students, though. The reason I say that all should be equally challenged is that you should never push a child so hard that they break down and learn to hate learning, but on the opposite end of the spectrum, you should never hold a child back so that they breeze through school with little effort, because they won't understand how to solve problems or meet deadlines when they get out into the real world. The workforce, regardless of industry, is nothing like school in most regards.

I won't lie. My 5 year old DOES have a few issues with a few friends because of his age vs. grade level. He's the size of a 7 year old, so as long as he doesn't tell people how old he is, no one cares, and he fits right into classes of various types. When kids find out how young he is, he sometimes gets made fun of. It bothers me a HECK of a lot more than it bothers him, though. He really doesn't care. He'd rather be in an appropriate class with a few kids who pester him than be in an age-peer class bored out of his mind. He's told me that over and over, so I listen.

Don't be afraid to speed up or slow down, even between subjects, don't be afraid to listen to your child's wishes, and don't be afraid to admit when you're wrong. You'll do fine!

Last edited by BensMom; June 21st, 2011 at 09:35 PM.
June 22nd, 2011, 04:10 AM
Thanks so much for the support. I find myself constantly questioning my instincts. I had something of an epiphany in Borders yesterday...I've never looked at kindergarten materials because I simply assumed she wasn't ready. Imagine my surprise when I paged through a BrainQuest Kindergarten Workbook and realized that she was more than capable of doing the worksheets!

I'm pretty sure we'll start kindergarten this year *breathes deeply* I've been enjoying preschool so much it's pretty exciting to think of moving on. The more I think about it now, the more I'm convinced that she'd just get bored spending another entire year doing shapes and colors. She knows all that backwards and forwards.

Mom to:

June 22nd, 2011, 05:24 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We did preschool at double speed last fall. I wanted Fritz's first introduction to formal school to be easy and fun. I'm very glad I did that. We use Calvert School and kindergarten is very academic and he loves every minute of it because school and learning are totally fun to him. He'll be 5 next month and will shortly after finish kindergarten and move on to first grade. We school year round at their own pace. I don't worry about where they are and where they "should" be by age mates.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

June 22nd, 2011, 05:49 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I say go for it! I love that homeschooling lets us go at their own pace. My 3 year old is doing work that her 5 year old cousin is also doing this summer, it doesn't bother her or him and she loves it.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

June 22nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 2 cents is it doesn't matter what grade-level you're doing. Just keep on with whatever subject matter your child is ready for. However, if you're in a state that requires you to report to the school district and "pick" which grade your child will be considered (on paper), I recommend that you stick to whatever grade level your child would be in if she were in public school based on age. You don't want to commit yourself (or her) to a grade level or 2 "ahead" of where they expect her to be and then have to say she's in 2nd grade 2 or 3 yrs in a row, or anyone asking questions about why she's not working on her "grade level" anymore. YKWIM? For instance, there's no harm in saying she's in 1st grade when she's 6 even if she's doing 3rd grade work. But if you say she's in 3rd grade when she's 6 and then she slows way down and is "only" able to do 2nd grade work, but clearly not 3rd grade, they might wonder why. It's safer not to go there, IMO.

[/url]

June 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
That's also true later on for competitions. For example, the national spelling bee is very strict on homeschoolers because they have an "unfair" () advantage over PS'ers. They have clear guidelines about both age AND grade for participation. That's not the only type of contest that does that, either. We're quitting Latin for a while after finishing Latin for Children C, because moving on to the high school book (which I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever he could handle!) would disqualify him from competing for scholarships later on when he's "old enough". He has to be taking that course during competition, so we have to wait for his age to catch up. In the mean time, we'll do Greek for Children. (I swear this child will end up being some sort of linguist or ambassador or something... he's a very language-oriented kid!)
June 23rd, 2011, 07:02 AM
Yeah, we won't be doing competitions or anything like that. I'm all set with that. Of course HS'ers have an unfair advantage...they actually learn things in school, lol.

I am in NH, which pretty much couldn't care if she was doing high school as long as they don't have to do anything, lol. But I'm make sure to check that out for sure before I take steps. Thanks for the advice!

Mom to:

June 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD will be 5 in Aug. She is starting 1st grade work then as well. I started an early preschool with her when she turned 3 and was shocked to learn she already knew all her letters and almost all her letter sounds, plus she knew numbers and shapes and everything else I was planning on teaching. So we did a fun year and when she turned 4 she started K, She flew through it. She had so much fun and it was almost too easy for her. Age is arbitrary, she needs to learn and if she already knows the material she isn't learning anything new. Teach her where she is at. As for sports and church and other extracurriculurs my dd is going into K this year not 1st grade. Socially she is a 4 almost 5yr old so it works better for us to do things that way.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the replies! The more *I* get used to the idea, the more I'm looking forward to doing K this year. And Cassidy, well, she's going to just fly through it like everything else. She's having so much fun with phonics! And I am daily surprised to find that, not only is she learning, she's remembering it as well!

Mom to:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search