have you used the following 3 curriculums???

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2011, 12:16 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
Around the world in 180 days, Learning Language Arts through Literature Series, or Apologia Zoology 3?
I am having to change my curriculum this year. I was using Abeka for history, la, and science. I can't afford it this year, so I am teaching the same history and science to my kids ( 6th and 4th)
Which Apologia would be better to start with? My oldest will move on to general science next year.
thanks in advance

June 22nd, 2011, 02:02 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've only done Zoology... haven't done LLAtL or AtW in 180 Days.

You can do the Apologia books in any order you want. The first zoology book goes into detail about the classification system, so if you're not familiar with it, you may be a little lost in the 2nd and 3rd books. It's not that big a deal, though. Zoology 1 was my favorite of the three (which surprises me, because I thought they'd be 3, 2, 1, but my favorite order is actually 1, 3, 2.)

If your oldest will never revisit the earlier books, I'd suggest doing Astronomy instead. Pretty much everything else (zoology, botany, and anatomy) will be covered in high school life science courses. Astronomy is never really studied in detail through general science books. Astronomy has been my favorite of all the apologia books so far, by the way. I LOVE the way it really shows how tiny and insignificant we are in relation to God. Kids sing "My God Is So Big... there's nothing my God cannot do..." in Sunday school classes, but the Astronomy book really brings that into perspective. The experiments were really fun, too. There are a lot of things we didn't do in the zoology books because they involve buying or capturing live animals to raise and observe. Not my thing!
June 22nd, 2011, 06:10 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't used the specific books you mentioned. I am using Apologia Astronomy, though, and I think it's great. The kids love it and I love how it gets the point across, you learn the "bold words," but it tells you in a way that's interesting to the kids (and me!). It's my favorite subject, lol. And it's the only subject that I have zero interest in researching other curricula b/c I'm so satisfied with it.

[/url]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search