Recordkeeping?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I pretty much know nothing about where to start with the record-keeping aspect of HS. In my state we must keep track of attendance and keep progress reports every 9 weeks. Also I would like to do as some of the others suggested and keep a few of their assignments that show progression. Along with this I will want to keep copies of our letter of intent each year. Another random question... Will I need to request her records from the school board where she attended last year? And will I need to keep those things in our file as well? Thanks for all your help, ladies! =)

June 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I usually get a great lesson plan/record book from staples. It is spiral bound and really thick and sturdy. this year because of money issues, I am just printing one of the internet. google free record keeping/lesson plan forms and you will find tons. there is also a free program online to input and save on paper!

June 23rd, 2011, 02:15 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great question! I myself have always struggled to be diligent in my paperwork, and have generally failed miserably

I am going to go to Staples and see if I can find one of those great books Jamie was talking about. Simple organization is what I need.

As for your question about getting your daughter's records from her previous school, that's also a great question and I don't know the answer. Sorry! I am familiar with the getting started laws but not the coming in in the middle ones. I'm sure the ladies here will know what to tell you!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 23rd, 2011, 03:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
This site has TONS of stuff! Donna Young's Homeschool Resources and Printables
June 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Yes you should ask for her records and keep them locked up with your files. As for keeping daily records, well its sort of up to how you would like to keep track. I have 2 clip boards and I made up my own record sheet and each kid has their own clip board that I write everything down on. I made up my own record sheet as well. I have toyed with the internet thing, but I dunno. I keep all their papers/workbooks/etc. that they do in a box and label the box for that school year.
June 23rd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a big three ring binder and I keep the more involved projects/art in that to show progress. The math we are using has a workbook so I keep that in the binder as well. She has a spelling journal that we use weekly which shows her handwriting and spelling progression. I may keep more as she gets older but K isn't required in TX so I'm not too worried about this year.
June 24th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I plan on doing a binder for each child and tabbing it by year/grade. I only plan to put a few artifacts in for each year that show progress (first and last handwriitng or writing samples, reading list (that the child has read on her own), final math exam or a few pages that show what they have completed on their own, and pictures of science experiments and social studies projects and/or field trips. My state doesn't require this, but I want it for myself and just in case anyone ever tries to charge me with "educational neglect" (not that I think that would happen). In my state the burden is on the parent to prove the children are learning in such a case. I don't plan on starting this till first grade though - not going to bother for pre-k or k.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search