The toads....

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
They're no longer tads, well most of them anyway.

Saturday and Sunday we were gone. We went to my mom's for a huge bonfire and such, so I didn't get the chance to upload these until now.

They've got a brand new home and all 40+ that I can count are doing safe and sound. We lost 4 total out of the entire batch. Which likely means we started off with more like 50, and not 40 like we thought, rofl. For the next year or so, they'll be perfectly safe, content and happy together in this tank. Though they will be getting a MUCH larger one this fall. We will release some of them back out into the wild then too. But we're going to hold onto more than the original 2 and 2 I had planned on. We have some projects planned for the next couple of years for science(and no I don't mean anything cruel, I promise, lol, we baby these toads lol)

Anyway I thought you'd like to see a few updated pics. You can see some of the oldest toads very well in these pics, as they're huge compared to the others. The biggest of them all, is a girl, and she's also the first one that got her legs. She's very feisty too, we call her big mama, lol. You can see the size differences in them pretty well in these pics. There are a *few tads left, I think 3, maybe 4, but they do have legs so it won't be more than a week before they're all hoppers. At this point they will ALL be growing very fast, until roughly fall when they'll slow way down again. They boys will take approx 2 yrs to grow to maturity and full size, the girls take 2-3 years and will double(at least, sometimes triple) the boys in size.
That clear plastic-y looking stuff you see is being used to keep a contained area for water/substrate that's safe for both tads/toads as well as their live prey. I add new water for them every 2-3 days(never removing water but being that it's summer, and they have a nice light, it will evaporate fast). They seem to enjoy it, lol keeps them all nice and cool and happy.

Enough rambling... here ya go

The tads... and a toad visiting the tads

Random toad shots, including big mama

Oh and I promise those colorful things are not jelly beans

My sister asked me that(didn't think they even looked like jelly beans, lol) it's just aquarium rock because when they were all itty bitty toadlets they kept slipping in the sand. I wanted to give them a little more to grip, but didn't want to bring in hard, rough gravel since they weren't used to it.
June 27th, 2011, 07:25 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelions-n-Mudpuddles View Post
...We have some projects planned for the next couple of years for science(and no I don't mean anything cruel, I promise, lol, we baby these toads lol)...
Yes, that's the first thing that came to mind!

So, enlighten us. What are your REAL plans?
June 27th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Well for one, we're going to study the full life cycle. But that won't be for a couple of years, as they won't be old enough. But the kids are also going to use them as a research project of sorts. Things like how changing their environment changes them. How, and what they eat. Their lifecycle thus far from tadpole to toad. (see when they're old enough we can do from egg.. to egg, adding on to already done research from tad to toad). Anything at all we can do, research wise, really. It should make for some interesting lessons.

But no, we'd never do any sort of experimentation that would hurt the lil guys and gals. They get totally babied here, lol.
June 28th, 2011, 10:54 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They're adorable! I love toads and frogs, anyway, but that looks like a very fun science project! My 3-year-old is here holding out her hands saying, "Awwwww! Can I hold one?"

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hehe, they really are LOTS of fun. The kids were racing them earlier today-I don't think any of them won tho rofl. They plan to create a maze and see if they can "train" the toads to get through it, or if they will just be able to make it through on their own through instinct.

Lots and lots of great projects we can use these little guys and gals with. I'm so glad so many of the made it. We only lost the few we did because of lack of land. That was my bad, entirely. I had planned on changing their home over to a terrarium but took too long to do it. But considering they've been raised from tadpole to toad solely in captivity, that's not too bad of a record, lol. Usually way more of them would have been lost. One really nice thing is that they're quiet, for now. Until they mature and the boys start singing anyway.
June 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Wow!! I still cant believe you only lost a couple!! You guys did an amazing job with that!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search