Curriculum help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2011, 09:31 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My DD's each got to pick a "fun" subject for next year and one chose sewing while the other two chose painting. I need some help finding some curriculum to help teach these subjects. The one doing sewing will be 8 in Nov. and the two doing painting will be 5 and 3.5yrs. Any suggestions?

June 28th, 2011, 01:42 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Hmm... let me think...
June 28th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I don't know of curriculum purse, but for sewing I think the best way to learn is to do little projects. here are a couple of books from amazon http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-School-...9311976&sr=8-1 http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sewing-Ma...9311976&sr=8-7 I learned by sitting along side my mom and using patterns and such, so if you know how to sew, I would say to take on a project of making an outfit (like jammies) and work with the child. If you aren't a sewer than one of those books should help. As for painting, I would go over the color wheel and then let them experiment - art is about passion not product. Let them use different tools (forks and spoons, q-tips, uncooked spaghetti, sponges, etc...) to create different patterns and textures with the paint. You can add soap flakes, glitter, etc ... to paint to change the texture, or glue things to the canvas first then paint over it (like yarn or raw pasta). Your local library probably has some children's books about different painters too so you can look at different styles of painting - abstract, pointillism, etc... I would say to emphasize that their paintings don't have to "look like" anything in particular. Kids tend to be turned off of art because they become frustrated trying to make it look like something and think it is bad if it isn't an exact copy of the subject. Especially since they are so young, I would go in an abstract direction to avoid this. One thing they may really enjoy is painting their feelings - have them show you what happy, angry, sad, excited, etc... looks like to them. It's a great chance to talk about feelings and how to handle them too.

June 30th, 2011, 09:12 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I ditto the Best of Sewing Machine Fun and I also got my DD Sewing Machine Fun. Those I would highly recommend, but that would only be if she had access to a sewing machine. I am not sure what to tell you if you do not, other than teaching her the basic stitches by hand, how to sew on buttons, etc.
July 1st, 2011, 10:37 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
If you are sewing by hand, learning how to hem and sew buttons would be good. Also making small projects like a pillow, small bag, or even doll quilt would be good. You could even expand into other textiles if she is interested and do weaving and knitting projects. I think you can find instructions on the family fun website for weaving using a hula hoop and making your own "nifty knitter" to use for making scarves and such.

July 1st, 2011, 02:00 PM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
National 4-H Curriculum | 4-H

You might check out the 4-H resource library for a sewing curriculum (link above). You can buy it or download pdf files of the projects. There are also a lot of different topics with the information available online.
July 2nd, 2011, 09:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks girls I am looking at all of those. My DD changed her mind and wants to do cooking now so I am purchasing a kids cookbook from Amazon and we are going to do 2 recipes a week. I am thinking that next yr (when she is a 3rd grader) we will use the 4h curriculum.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search