What do you teach in kindergarten?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2011, 08:58 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are planning on reading, obviously. As if you all haven't been bored to tears with my posts about that We are also planning on doing Kumon math workbooks which teach everything from ordinals to money and time (love those books!)

But what else? Do you usually just call it good there? I don't want to overburden her so young...playtime is a big thing around here. But she's interested in so many things right now! Do I capitalize on it while I have her enthusiasm? One thing we've been looking at is music for beginners, I think it's called Music for Little Mozarts or something like that. I've also been thinking about a simple animal science.

What do you do?

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

June 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We do the three R's: reading writing and arithmetic.

Reading: Hooked on phonics
Handwriting: Horizons
Math: Horizons

Anything other than that is extra, we do some art and she got science and history from over hearing her sister's work. Music is Piano through Pianimals (we are just starting this though).
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

June 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I keep it simple in K. I don't start science or social studies until 1st. If you want to do music, there are a couple of cool places online to get free resources:

DSO Kids | Listen by Composer
Classics for Kids
June 29th, 2011, 05:14 AM
Thanks!

Mom to:

June 29th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I plan on phonics and math skills for kindergarten, like others have said, but I also plan to introduce social studies and science concepts through stories and play. Just to familiarize them with vocabulary and such they will see later on. I don't focus on anything specific, but just go with what interests them. For example, when I went to see a friend's new store she has opened, she mentioned that one of the other stores in the shopping village had a live butterfly display. So of course I took the girls to see it. They had a ball looking at all the butterflies (they were in a green house with lots of plants) and since it wasn't busy the caretaker took time to show the girls butterfly eggs, caterpillars, and chrysalises. Since they had such a rich experience, I rolled with it and got butterfly books from the library and printed off a simple butterfly life cycle coloring page. I don't expect them to explain the life cycle of a butterfly at 3 years old, but they have talked about it, looked at real and pictorial examples, listened to it explained several times, and worked with the vocabulary words. When they reach first or second grade and are expected to learn about the life cycles of various animals, they will have the background knowledge to make it easier.

June 30th, 2011, 05:49 AM
Jill, it sounds like the girls had a blast with the butterflies! We will be doing the same thing, I think. Cassidy is interested in so many things that to limit her to math and reading would be hard for her. But as for formal textbook teaching, I think she's probably not developed the attention span for that yet

Mom to:

June 30th, 2011, 06:57 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would add a little H.W. but that's all... Other than that I would just keep reading good books to her with colorful illustrations and keep it fun. I love Usborne books. I am amazed how much they learn from those, but they are really cute, too.

[/url]

June 30th, 2011, 08:54 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I hear Barefoot Books are a good choice too LOL!! I would also make sure you do a bit of handwriting as well.
June 30th, 2011, 08:57 PM
Yes, handwriting has made the final cut into the curriculum, lol. I love good handwriting almost as much as I love good spelling!

Mom to:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search