Socialization...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So we just announced on FB last night that we are going to be homeschooling. We have had mostly positive responses, but a few negative. Most of the criticism seems to be centered around SOCIALIZATION. I'm pretty sure this is NOT going to be a problem... I mean honestly the kids are home with me and only me ALL SUMMER, and then in winter when the weather is too bad to get out. I don't feel that this will be a problem at all. We attend church 3 times a week and the girls will be joining Girl Scouts and they gather once weekly, sometimes more. Also they do quite a bit in the community. We plan on doing lots of field trips. How do you ensure that your homeschooled child(ren) have enough interaction with others? OR... Is this just some made up issue created by people who oppose homeschooling?!?!

July 5th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Unsocialized homeschoolers exist. Guess what? Unsocialized public schoolers exist, too. As long as you aren't staying inside and never interacting with other people, don't worry at all. Socialization is rather a non-issue.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2011, 01:50 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Exactly what Heather said. How many times do you hear a kid talking in class and the teacher tells the kid your not here to socialize. They will be fine.
July 5th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I agree with the above. I have my girls enrolled in dance/gymnastics class already so they can make friends with other kids in their age group and they of course interact with friends and family members and people we cross paths with in the community. Those interactions are much more meaningful than the catty world of girls in school. check this out to help answer some of those critics http://simplehomeschool.net/homescho...tion-question/

July 6th, 2011, 06:01 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That article that Jill posted has some great answers!

We don't worry about socialization. We just don't. 'Socialization', by definition, is learning how to function well with others. Children do not learn that in public school. What they get is hours of interaction with a huge class of kids their own age, which actually acts against their learning to function properly in society.

I really like this article as well: We Don't Believe

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 6th, 2011, 07:01 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I recently got my first negative reaction too. She went as far to say that she thought that older children needed socialization even more because homeschoolers sheltered their children and never let them learn how to make their own decision. She was saying that homeschoolers didn't expose children to different beliefs/values.
I don't know if she was trying to be less offensive since my kiddo is still so young, but it was strange to see that someone thought that way.
Well, I was taken aback especailly since she said she made her children go to church with her until they turned 18 but her 17 year old daughter has proclaimed herself an athiest. I honestly would not be okay with that.
I told her that I would continue to have my child in social settings (we are in a weekly mom/play group and very social in our neighborhood with both adults and children) and that I planned to expose her to lots of different people and beliefs, but that I also belive that you can learn about other people without encouraging children to choose to immoral or amoral lifestyles!
Thea is just getting ready to turn 3 so next summer I plan on starting ballet and maybe golf lessons for her. Or whatever else she is interested in at that time! I have been at home with her since she was born and she doesn't know a stranger; is a social butterfly. I really don't think socialization is a problem unless the parents don't socialize at all or provide any opportunities to be in social settings regularly.
July 7th, 2011, 07:05 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalis View Post
I planned to expose her to lots of different people and beliefs, but that I also belive that you can learn about other people without encouraging children to choose to immoral or amoral lifestyles!
Exactly! My daughter is going to have to learn about many unpleasant things (the world is what it is), but I am not okay with 'letting her make her own decisions' about everything. That's a cop-out. That's a parent not wanting to take responsibility for teaching their own child right from wrong.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 7th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
We like being hermits. We hardly ever go anywhere, and unless I magically grow eyes that function, and get a license, this won't be changing anytime soon.

My kids still get the best kind of socialization, they learn to function in society that isn't chock full of nothing but kids their own ages
They don't have to spend time everyday outside of their own home, or their own area(for us that would be the neighborhood, lol) to socialize. Even just getting out once a week, or less, can do a world of good.
My kids aren't in activities or anything like that-because it's just not feasible. Though I would love for them to be able to and eventually they will. For now, this works for us.

School-regardless of where it is they attend, is not for socialization. It's just something people say because they think it makes sense. It's also usually the only downfall people can find to homeschooling. In fact most teachers will tell you the exact opposite-when you're in school anyway- "you're here to learn, not socialize". So there goes that theory.
July 7th, 2011, 04:38 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have worried about this at times b/c I'm paranoid, but I don't worry as much now. Honestly, we have 1 car so I basically never go anywhere when DH is at work. I'm used to it and we just take a lot of rides together as a family. We visit grandparents, we visit aunts, uncles, my friend who has 4 kids close in age to my kids come over once a week or so... my kids play with their cousins... They have never done ANYthing like boyscouts, sports, or any organized activity with "a bunch of kids their own age." Yet I think they interact very well... in fact one of my friends said he appreciates how my kids talk to him and say Hi when he says Hello, whereas other kids tend to totally ignore him (who happen to go to PS, but he didn't say that).

PS is not the place to learn how to "socialize" anyway, IMO. So I think it's mostly a made-up paranoia. Sure kids need to play with other kids now and then, but they don't need to be around them 5 days a week all day long, and the kids they interact with don't have to be non-relatives (I feel sometimes it's as if people would think my kids were better "socialized" if they were around kids that aren't related more b/c apparently cousins don't count....??). It's nonsense.

That said, I am enrolling my kids in a soccer program, more to get the experience of playing on a team and having fun playing a sport than "socializing" (after all, I don't know if they will even make very deep friends while playing soccer?).

[/url]

July 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
The reason people call it socialization is that they fear being wrong and/or different. Their idea of socialization means making kids look like factory clones. If you're different, if you don't wear the latest fashions, if you don't talk like them, watch what they watch, answer questions with the same regurgitated answers ... you're unsocialized. They fail to realize it's the weirdos who go out and make a name for themselves in the world.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search