For those of you hs'ing closely spaced children...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have one daughter in Kindergarten and on in 1st. They will be doing separate grade level work for the most part. What I am wondering about... I plan on doing special studies/activities for each holiday. Will it be easier for me to do those unit studies together with the both of them? Or try to separate it out and give my younger daughter something that goes with the holiday only a little easier than my 1st grader?

July 5th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Most people put closely spaced kids together for stuff like that (sometimes everything but language arts and math). Try it. The worst is you'll find it doesn't work.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2011, 02:44 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would do them together. We combine history and science as well, and they are 2nd and 4th grades. I do assign different things based on level, but the lesson is basically the same thing.
July 5th, 2011, 07:09 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My oldest boys are a year and a half apart and I don't separate anything except reading & math... and they even happen to share almost all readers just because the younger brother has a little easier time reading.

[/url]

July 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I would do them together, you could always just adjust the independant work in that area if needed, but present the material together. You'll also be able to explain anything they don't understand with language they do, so there really is no need to worry about it being "over their head"

July 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As PP have said, I would put them together. I don't know about all kids, but my 3 3/4- year-old and my 2-year-old love doing things like that together. It might consist of the older one learning about the life cycle of pumpkins while the younger one listens and colors a pumpkin picture, but she'll be happy to be included, trust me! And she'll learn way more from it than if it was a completely separate lesson.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search