Lesson Plans

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Do any of you have lesson plans written out in advance? Or do you just go with the flow and jot down what you do each day? (for those who have to keep record of it) We got all our books and teachers manuals and workbooks yesterday and looking through it, looks SOOO overwhelming. I don't think I even know where to start, but I am pretty sure I need SOME kind of plan or organization with it. Tips/Advice?

July 5th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
The curriculum we use (Calvert) comes with the lessons all planned out. Starting with Ani's 9th grade, I'm working on making lesson plans for her school based on how Calvert's are laid out. For little kids it's not nearly as important as bigger kids, though.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 5th, 2011, 01:48 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Right now, I do not plan out exactly the details as to what is to be done each day. I just write it down what we do as we go along. Our extent of planning is on certain days we do certain subjects and like math that is something we do everyday. M, W, F their reading is book reading, on T, Th their reading is reading comprehension workbooks. M and W is science and T, Th is history, etc.
July 5th, 2011, 05:44 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I do sabbath school in where we school for 6 weeks then take a week off. So... I plan out 6 weeks at a time. I also have one day with little/light load so if a field trip opens up, we r good to go. I have to have plans....it would drive me crazy!!!!

July 5th, 2011, 07:38 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I think planning depends on you more than the kids. If you are a "type A" and like to know what is going on each day, than planning ahead is great. If you can't stand planning things out and function better just "running with it" then just run with it. As a school teacher I am required to turn in lesson plans a week in advance, and while having the plans roughly sketched out works well for me, I rarely stick directly to them. I usually find something that works better or a different idea I like better for teaching the concept. As a homeschooling parent, my plan as of now is to do a rough sketch for the week, then just roll with it day by day. I will probably write down what we do after the fact for my records and that is what I would turn in if ever asked to show lesson plans.

July 5th, 2011, 09:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What we are using comes with lesson plans or it is a just do the next thing kind of workbook so I do not plan beyond just following along with the lessons in the books.

July 6th, 2011, 05:52 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a lesson plan type of person. I think it depends more on your personality and your state requirements. If you feel like a plan would help you, then dive into it now and get it all hashed out before school starts. If you'd rather not, then make sure your record-keeping requirements for the state permit a lack of lesson plan, and just wing it!

I'm a newbie, so what do I know, but this is what I would do/have been doing:

As far as making a lesson plan, just divide the number of pages in your textbooks by the number of school days you need to report and mark each day's lesson in the book. You might have to tweak each lesson by a page or two to make it coherent, but you'll find that it's pretty easy once you know how each book is laid out. Take a few weeks with it.

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

July 11th, 2011, 07:32 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm extremely organized! I put everything we do into a spreadsheet, and I plan 12-18 mos in advance. Ben thrives on organization and charts and stuff, so that helps. He's a lot like me. Daniel... ugh... that boy's gonna kill me! I don't know what I'll do when I start with him!
July 20th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Veteran
I know this is old but .. I haven't been by much lately.

I specifically chose a curriculum that had most everything I needed planned out for me so I could focus on other things. For the parts I add to it I just "do the next thing" and record it in an organizer (software or regular).
July 20th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Veteran
The is what works for me, as a classroom teacher:

A term overview grid - so a row for each week, then a column for Math/Literacy/Science/ etc. You may need one of these for each child OR you may just colour code a single one with a different colour text for each child.

Then a weekly over view grid: days of the week as the columns, then divide that into rows for 3 daily blocks - morning, middle and afternoon. It's nice to have a bit of routine so the kids can have a nice predictable rythym. So you might start every day with a read aloud, then work on literacy jobs til morning snack. Math in the middle block. Then independent reading after lunch and then some sci/art/theme in the afternoon.

You might like to plan your literacy and math in further detail for each child, thinking about the 4-6 weekly assessment guidelines. Themes are easy to plan, and a lot of fun. Sometimes just a simple mindmap/concept map sketched out can be enough to get you started and then the kids can lead the investigations.

Does this make sense?

Check out my blog: http://sproutschool.wordpress.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search