lesson = backfire

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
This isn't exactly a homeschool lesson, as a parenting lesson, but it was funny so thought I'd share:
We went car shopping last week, and as is inevitable with toddlers, we visited several public potties. On one occasion, I took Arianna into the bathroom and the potty hadn't been flushed. She was not happy about "peepee" already being in the potty, so I explained that the person before us was rude and didn't flush and that you should always be polite and flush the potty when you are done so the next person has a clean potty. Simple ettiquette lesson ...right? ...ummm not so much.... Fast forward to 4th of July. We were at our local fireworks celebration held at a rurally set sports complex. Now I say rurally because you have to know that he septic system was not the typical city water and therefore the water was VERY rusty .... can you see where this is going? .... So there are a ton of people and of course a line for the potty and yes, I am in line again for the second time this night (twins mean everything is done twice) and this time it is Arianna in tow. So the potty right next to the sinks opens up and the lady goes to the sink to wash, and I take in Arianna. As soon as she takes one look at the rusty potty water she screams "That lady was rude and didn't flush Mommy!" (and yes it was a top of the lungs, panicked, and shocked sort of scream that indicates it was the worst thing that could have ever happened in this child's life) I tried to (loudly) explain that it was just rusty water and stop her from screaming it again. I. wanted. to. disappear. So much for ettiqutte lessons! Now .... we are working on keeping our comments to ourselves (or at least just whispering them).

July 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh, I know those moments so well! Just one of many examples:

My daughter (who was then 2 years old) once walked up to our middle-aged male librarian and said calmly, "You have funny hair."

Well, he did, to be fair. But that didn't make Mommy feel any better! Luckily for us, he laughed.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
As humiliating as some of those experiences can be, I absolutely love them. It shows us just how little our kids care about what others think of them, lol. They see nothing wrong with sharing their thoughts and feelings-even if it might not be the best time to do so.

I have had sooooo many moments like that. Alyssia used to tell her doctors all the time that they talk funny. The one time we were seeing a new GI and we were getting a replacement mic-key. I'm not real sure where he was from but his accent was thick as all get out and I could *barely understand him(it really was bad and honestly I think he needs someone to translate for him). He was telling her everything as he was getting ready to change it(other changes I did at home, but the initial one they did). She looked straight at him after about ten minutes of this explaining and said "I don unerstan the words you not sayin." Horrible grammar(in her defense she was only 3, lol), but right on the money, lol. He looked at me all "wtheck" like and all I could do was shrug, and try hard not to snicker at him. Even the nurse in the room was giggling. I think he thought she was being rude, but really she was only being honest lol.
July 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
I love those stories! And you're right, kids don't care what others think, hopefully that will last awhile!

July 6th, 2011, 07:07 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is funny! Thea doesn't have a censor yet either. And she is very observant - she has multiple times asked ?s like, "what happened to your hair?". This she has done multiple times but especially frequently to her grandma on daddy's side who does have crazy hair
July 7th, 2011, 07:01 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill0924 View Post
I love those stories! And you're right, kids don't care what others think, hopefully that will last awhile!
Well, I don't care what others think either, for the most part, so my kids will probably have to learn tact from their father, lol!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOL!!

[/url]

July 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_England_Girl View Post
Well, I don't care what others think either, for the most part, so my kids will probably have to learn tact from their father, lol!
LOL, I don't generally care what other's think, but I go out of my way to be polite to people. I don't care if they like me or not, I just think being polite is the right thing to do. So I am just flabbergasted when my kids are not so polite - I have to remind myself that they are still learning - and it is wonderful that they are so innocent.

July 11th, 2011, 07:49 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I've had plenty of those moments, too! Daniel had to announce to everyone the other day that daddy has a peepee, Ben has a peepee, Daniel has a peepee, but mom doesn't have a peepee. Mom is broken.
July 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
LOL!!!! I have had those moments too
July 12th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
I've had plenty of those moments, too! Daniel had to announce to everyone the other day that daddy has a peepee, Ben has a peepee, Daniel has a peepee, but mom doesn't have a peepee. Mom is broken.
ROFL! I love that one! So Cute!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search