seriously considering...help!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
I am seriously considering homeschooling my 6yo ds and 3yo dd. I also have a 3 mo ds. Ds1 went to public school last year, which we had no problems with. He enjoyed it and learned alot. He is in some advanced groups for math and reading. Last year I was working. Now I am SAHM. I used to be a public school teacher. I'm sitting on the fence about homeschooling him or sending him. He would be with the same kids and same teacher for first grade this year because they "loop"...I guess I am looking for some guidance/encouragement?? I'm just not sure.

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 12th, 2011, 02:38 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Especially with your teaching background and your child seemingly being a quick-learner, it sounds like a recipe for homeschooling success to me! I'm sure you would do well, it just depends on how much you want to do it b/c it is still work.

To put you over the fence you could ask yourself questions like how important is it to you to maintain a close relationship with your kids throughout elementary school and then the teen years, until graduation?

How important is it to you to shield them from the negatives of PS like teasing, peer-pressure, the things they might "learn" from the other kids, picking up other people's values (which may include pro-homosexuality, evolution, or other hot-topics you may disagree with)?

Also consider how homeschoolers make out academically and how big of an issue that is for you. If you look at how homeschoolers do on standardized tests, the average homeschooler does significantly better than the average PS'er.

Think about the big-picture and what you want for your kids / what you want them to be like when they are 18. Do you think you will have more assurance that they will become the people you want them to be if you homeschool them, or if you send them to PS?

As far as the practicalities of HS'ing, people here would be more than happy to answer your questions. Just ask!

Check this article out: http://www.youcanhomeschool.org/star...ult.asp?bhcp=1

[/url]

July 12th, 2011, 02:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I think we could help your decision-making process if we knew exactly why you're on the fence. Do you have a list of pros and cons? There are other teachers or former teachers here (self included), so we can probably comment on your teaching concerns as well.
July 12th, 2011, 03:11 PM
My head is all muddled! Overload I guess. I just don't see why I would send him to PS if I am capable of teaching him at home. Silly thing is it just hit me today after a conversation with a HS mom/friend of mine that this was even a real possibility. We really like his PS. The only real "cons" to HS are my organizational skills and the fact that he loved school. I'm sure he would quickly adjust. Also, I'm not sure what we can afford as far as curriculum goes. I don't have any concerns about being able to teach him (his sister is another story entirely LOL) Pros to HS outweigh the cons for sure. I do not want him learning things from other children, I am very good friends with his teacher and of course she will understand our decision which ever way we go. I'd love to use a Christian based curriculum. Any feed back is welcome TIA

July 12th, 2011, 05:50 PM
I say go for it! If you do PS this year, you'll be questioning yourself the whole time. If you do HS this year, you'll know one way or the other which one you'd like to continue doing. We can help you with all the logistics. Take it one step at a time and relax.
July 12th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
You can find a lot of things on ebay for sale and at other second hand locations (homeschool sales, etc...) and if you copy things and keep the books relatively neat you can even resell them when you are done to make a little back. Plus being a former teacher I am sure you have a bunch of materials in storage somewhere. I have a ton in my garage from when I have changed grade levels (and because I knew I wanted to homeschool when I had kids so I squirreled things away ) It sounds like you would be very happy homeschooling your children. And since you on has already had a class he made friends in, you can do things to keep him in contact with those children as well - then he can have the best of both worlds.

July 12th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I think we will go for it. I talked to dh tonight and he said it would be good. I do plan on keeping in touch with some of his friends from his class here we go. Now the challenge is to assess him and see where he is academically.

July 12th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Go to LetsGoLearn.com. You can get a PreK-12th assessment for both reading and math with subtest scores broken down for you (spelling, comprehension, etc.). They're $20 each on the site, but if you sign up free at Homeschool Buyer's Co-op, you can get them for $15 through that site. It's a standardized test designed for CA, but it gives you whatever state standards you need. It's completely online, not intimidating (the test is administered by a talking monkey), and you get results instantly. I highly recommend it.

When you get the results of that, we can help you choose curriculum, too. Each company has it's own idea about what an Xth grader should know. Some are really advanced and some are behind. Like choosing a good pair of jeans, you have to ignore the tag and just go with what fits regardless of grade level.

Have you already looked at NC laws? http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/North_Carolina.pdf I just looked, and it says they also require annual testing in grammar, which isn't included in the LetsGoLearn test.
July 13th, 2011, 06:35 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I see you decided to go for it. Congrats on your decision!! A lot of curriculum sites have placement tests as well to see where he would fit in. There are lots of places you can go to, to find used curriculum in fact we have a link up above with some stuff that people on this board have for sale. There are also lots of people who use free curriculum, such as Ambleside and totally go that route. You could do a combination of free and bought curriculum. You options are endless
July 14th, 2011, 06:54 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats! You won't regret it!

Please ask if you have any (or a hundred) questions! These ladies are awesome and pretty much know everything

For Christian curriculum, you can go to Christianbook.com and they've got an entire section dedicated to homeschooling! They have more awesome Christian programs than you can imagine! I love that site. Good luck!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search