How do you handle...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 19th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
when your child asks to go to school? My girls are still only 3, but they know I go to school and teach kids. They have been saying that they are going to go to school too (of course they think they would be in Mommy's class all day). I keep telling them they are special because they will get to go to school at home. They know we do school at home - I break out the workbook pages from time to time and we call it "school work". They love doing "school work" because it makes them feel grown up. I am a little worried that as their friends and cousins go of to school that they will feel left out. I want them to love being home schooled and I want them home schooled because I know it is better for them academically. Just at a loss as to how to explain it to them.

July 19th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
Elementary kids often ask to go to school because they think it is all fun and games. They want to ride the school bus or play on the playground or eat in the cafeteria. Only the fun part of school is shown in cartoons and in movies. So, when Ani said she wanted to go to school, I asked why (she wanted to ride the bus). So I told her 1.) she wouldn't ride the bus anyway (where we lived and where the elementary school was at the time meant she would have been a walker) and 2.) we could ride the city bus any time she wanted. She quit asking to go.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 19th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I agree with Heather, I have asked mine why they want to go. Usually the answer is because they want to play in the centers or play on the playground. I have told them that they still get to do that when we go to the park and we have our own swingset in the backyard. As for the centers I have explained that it isn't like that after kindergarten, that she would sit a desk and do school work most of the day. Once she gets a real picture of what it would be like she is fine to stay at home as long as she gets to play with other kids her age often.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

July 19th, 2011, 02:23 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think a lot of it is because public school is always portrayed as 'the place to be', basically. Everything you see on TV, from 'Sid the Science Kid' through "High School Musical' shows only the best things about it. Kids are fed a constant stream of flawed advertising from day one. Also, books and TV shows always portray it as the only option. I've never seen a home-schooling TV show, lol.

My daughter says the same thing. She asks why she can't go to school with her cousins, and even though she loves doing our school here at home, I think she assumes that one day she'll go to public school. Unfortunately for her, she doesn't have a choice, lol. I try to explain to her how it's better and easier to do school at home (positively, without putting her cousins down), and how special it is that Mommy gets to stay home and teach her. One day she'll get it

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 19th, 2011, 02:36 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I agree with what everyone else has said. Find out what it is that they want to go to school for and show them how that fits into homeschooling. I haven't had that issue yet, mine had a taste of PS and they want nothing to do with that life.
July 19th, 2011, 05:07 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I worry about that too. Thea has mentioned a few times that she will go to school when she is big enough even though she loves 'school time' with mommy. I love the idea of finding out why they want to go - I will use that when the time comes. Also, her best friend is two years older than her and homeschooled and our neighbor across the street so i hope that will help her continue to like being at home like Lydia! If she went to school we wouldn't be able to walk across the street and play together whenever we want!
July 19th, 2011, 05:11 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
My kids did go to public school. I pulled them out for various reasons. My oldest doesn't ask to go back, but my daughter does. Her reason is because her best friend from church now goes to her old school. They see each other 3-4 times a week. Silly girls!

July 19th, 2011, 05:30 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ben used to want to go to school because his friends were. He was way too young to go, though. We started homeschooling as a compromise, and now it's his own decision that school would be too boring.
July 19th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I know why they want or ask to go ... 1. they think they will get to be with Mommy all day and eat popsicles (they always come for the last day of school) 2.they know the "big" kids go to Mommy's school and they want nothing more than to be "big" (I keep telling them not to rush it, but they wont listen). I will keep reinforcing how "big" they are for doing their school work. I try to tell them they are luckier than other kids because other kids want to be home schooled ... I hope this helps them want to be home schooled. I had said that I would let them choose - later on though, not at this age - but the longer I stay in public education, the less I think I would let them go. I am hoping that this will be my last year teaching and that when I am home with them, they will want to go away to school less. Thanks for all the input - I am glad to know that other kids also ask to go to school.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search