curriculum on a budget help

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 09:13 AM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So we are on a big time budget at the moment and I need help with finding good curriculum on a budget. My main concern is for my 1st grader. I was going to buy MFW 1st grade complete program which I still may do but wanted to see if I could find a way to save money.
So what would you use for a 1st grader if you were on a tight budget? I looked into Lifepacs but they are not really any cheaper for what all I need. The 1st grade mfw is $139 plus tax and shipping. So trying to find something that would slash that price.
Any ideas.
I also have a 4th grader and we are using MFW because we already have it. Just need to get her a math and writing. Writing is cheap but math isnt. I was going to use MUS but just cant afford it. We used Saxon last year and can get a used set for $50 so will probably just do that. She struggles in math a bit.

So any ideas?

July 21st, 2011, 11:32 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Have you tried looking for used books?

here is one on ebay - there may be more too My Father's World First Grade curriculum +extras&deluxe | eBay

and you can try these sites too
Used Textbooks, Homeschool Curriculum, Discount Textbooks and Home School Curriculum Packages
Find Textbooks on Half.com
Save money on used textbooks, discount textbooks, and new textbooks.
Grade School Textbooks and Teacher Resources at Alibris

you may be able to rent them too
Rent Textbooks | Cheap College Textbook Rentals | BookRenter.com

July 21st, 2011, 11:45 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Also look at FREE Homeschool Curriculum for "free for shipping" curriculum and The Book Samaritan for free curriculum.

Here are some free textbooks online for LA, math, and science:

Welcome to Pearson
Scott Foresman Reading: Teacher Resources

You can go to the library to find "What your ___ grader needs to know" and check out all the related books that go with it.

You can do unit studies with things you find online at the 1st grade level to go along with the stuff you're doing with the older one.

Last edited by BensMom; July 21st, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
July 21st, 2011, 11:57 AM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
another idea...is there anyone near you you could share with? maybe you and another mom could go in on the program together and share the materials (and cost)? Or someone you could borrow from?

July 21st, 2011, 12:53 PM
I have looked into buying used and it normally not a whole lot cheaper. Thanks for the great ideas. I will look into the free stuff and see about it.

Does anyone know if Explode the Code is complete enough to use as a phonics program? That one is pretty cheap. I do have an Abeka phonics and reading but it is for 2nd grade. I wonder if I could just use it?

Thanks again for all the great ideas.

July 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
I used ETC with Ben and LOVED it!! I'll use it again for Daniel. It's wonderful for phonics, and yes, complete if you go through the whole series. It's not designed to teach comprehension or reading fluidly or anything like that. It's just phonics (and although not made for spelling, it's great for spelling, too).
July 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
Good luck Brandi! we are in the same PR! I'm schooling a 1st grader this year too. I bought Abeka for Reading, Bible, Science and SS ($65 used) and plant to get Saxon Math for Grade 1 (hoping for a deal So that should be around the same or less than the price you were talking about. I'm trying to keep it under $100. I have some teaching materials left from teaching public school, but have also found some really cool free websites for learning fun!

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 21st, 2011, 02:20 PM
Oh Hey Amanda!!! I didnt realize you were homeschooling. That is awesome. We are going on our 3rd yr. I did use Abeka for 2nd grade with my other daughter. I still have that but wasnt sure about using it with my 1st grader. I do like Abeka but its a lot and I didnt like how its set up for a classroom. I still use the readers for my older dd. Love the readers. I didnt like there writing program. It is just to much. Phonics was pretty good though. I never did 1st grade with it though. Just kinda wanted something more suited for an individual child instead of a classroom although you can alter it to fit your needs of course. My favorite is MFW. I did the K program and love it. I just really need to cut our cost. LOL I like that MFW is a complete curriculum for 1st graders. It really isnt a bad price.

July 21st, 2011, 09:49 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I totally understand where you are coming from. My dh has been unemployed for over 2 years. We are still homeschooling. God has always provided for us. Last year, I spent about $700 for both of my kids. This year, I will be spending $400. I have cut as much as I could. I switched to cheaper books,etc..... I have about half of my books right now. I have faith that God will provide the other $200 for me to purchase my other books. I have bought some used in the past month, but I prefer new as I have to use them for 3 kids.
BTW- $139 is a great price for a whole curriculum set. IMO

July 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM
Jaime - what are you still lacking?
July 22nd, 2011, 09:28 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I am lacking both of my math ( horizons 6 and 4), and consumable workbooks for spelling and english( bob jones).....
My birthday is next week so I am asking for money for school books

I have no worries though. I will start school when I get the rest of my books. On August 22, I will be doing unit studies till I "officially" start

July 22nd, 2011, 12:05 PM
Jaime, Thanks. Yes God will provide. He is so good!!!

Do you like Horizons? I am trying to figure out if we should go with that this year. My dd does struggle a bit in math. We used Saxon last yr. If I do decide not to use Horizons I do have a 4th grade workbook 2 if you are still needing it. Let me decide which I am going to use though. Just not sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search