questions about math

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2011, 04:00 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So my daughter struggles a bit with math. We used Saxon last yr but it is a lot to do. I did like it though. She has trouble remembering concepts and all and her multipications. I had thought about using Horizons this year and already have the workbook 2 for it. I know its alittle advanced. Would it work for someone that struggles alittle in math at all? I have heard the teachers manual isnt very good and not to buy it. Is this true?

Not sure if we should just stick with Saxon or find antoher curriculum. I know I liked Saxon a lot better than Abeka math.

BTW she will be in 4th grade this year if that matters at all. We did 3rd grade saxon.

July 21st, 2011, 06:14 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I love the everyday math program - it is a bit expensive to get the whole thing though. I use it as a PS teacher, and I have fallen in love with the program. It does a lot, but in a very concrete manner for the children and it offers alternative methods for + - * / algorithms which can be very helpful for children who are struggling with the "traditional" methods. It was developed based on what people who are good in math do naturally, so it really improves mental math abilities. Also, it is a spiraling program so a concept is introduced and then it appears again and again in following lessons, but is not "drill and kill". If you go for it you'll need: teacher manual vol 1 &2, student journal vol 1&2, math masters book (this has all the tests/quizzes, home work practice sheets, and extras needed for lessons), and a student reference book (although you can do the lessons without it for the most part - I really don't use this too much since I teach special ed and most of my student struggle to read so I avoid forcing them to read in math to ease some of their frustration).

July 21st, 2011, 07:22 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
Just a thought on the Everyday Math, I really liked it a lot when using it in the public school system. My little guy would probably do pretty well with it, but IMHO I did have some children who moved into the school system and it rocked their world. It is so different. Just wanted to throw that out there for what it is worth, since she is older and used to more traditional. I wonder if you could find a sample online or something to try it out first.

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 21st, 2011, 08:39 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Personally, I HATE that approach with a passion! I think it does more to confuse people than anything. I'm very traditional/classical in my approach.

For someone struggling in math, I'd use either Saxon or Teaching Textbooks. TT is about a year (or more) behind at first, but it catches up to average by high school. It's really expensive, though, so you'd have to find it used. Saxon is good for those who struggle and also those who have trouble teaching math, because it scripts everything for you.

I wouldn't use Horizons unless you plan to use the 3rd grade book. Horizons is very advanced, and it's fast-paced.

You might also consider Rod & Staff. It's very old school with tons of practice. It also starts off a little slow, but it catches up around 4th grade, so I'd go with 4th for that one. It's much cheaper than a lot of the stuff out there.

What about Math Mammoth? Have you looked at that one yet?

Last edited by BensMom; July 21st, 2011 at 08:42 PM.
July 22nd, 2011, 12:11 PM
brandimomof2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!!! Chrystal I have not looked into math mammoth. I have not heard much about it. Tell me more about it.

I have looked into R&S. I thought about it but she is a artistic visual person which is why I did looked into Horizons. I dont want it to be to advanced for her though. She did like Saxon and so did I. It is a lot though.

July 28th, 2011, 05:01 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I was going to suggest Math Mammoth. That is what we use for both kids. If you go to her site, she has sample pages of the lessons so you can see first hand what they are like. I highly recommend it for ones that are struggling.
July 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Regular
I am also looking into using math mammoth and right now until 8/22 you can buy it at homeschool buyers co-op for a discounted price.
Also i use flashcards for reinforcment with my kids.
July 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I can't really tell you about Math Mammoth, because I haven't used it. Jenn can, though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search