I feel like the only one. :(

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 08:13 AM
Regular
Seems like from what I've read around here that I'm the only one that's creating their own curriculum. I can't afford to blow hundreds of dollars on other people's stuff, so I just decided to work up my own. I know pretty well where DS is lacking in comprehension, so we've been doing a lot of phonics and handwriting stuff. I use Starfall online for phonics, and he's improved greatly. As for the handwriting, I've a dotted line font that I print pages for him to practice with.

Anything that I've questions on, I've done research about through google or wherever. To get an idea about the kinds of things he should be doing in kindergarten, I just searched for other people's curriculums and made up my own. I find it more rewarding in some respects, even if it's a lot harder than just putting a workbook or something in front of him, because I'm actively a part of his learning process.

So I don't know. Am I really the only one doing homeschooling this way?

[/CENTER]
July 22nd, 2011, 09:23 AM
Veteran
That's pretty much how I did preK and K work for my oldest. When it comes down to it, you actually don't need a curriculum for those levels. DS was ready for 1st grade work without completing any formal K curriculum.

I started out with similar plans for 1st but found I just don't personally have the time or the knowledge required to meet all my educational goals for my children without help. I completely understand the desire to do it though if you can, even if one does have the money to spend.
July 22nd, 2011, 12:02 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I am kind of making things up for my girls too. I don't think I'll buy a full curriculum for reading or language. I have a lot of supplemental teaching materials and have always preferred them to a full created curriculum. I do have the spire program for spelling/phonics - but I use it my own way, not necessarily the way it is scripted. I plan on using the everyday math program for math too, but again will add my own things to it. I guess I am kind of in the middle - some scripted and some not For pre-k and k it will be only things pulled from several supplemental sources.

July 22nd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
If we weren't using K12 I would be piece-paring my entire curriculum. I don't like boxed sets only for the fact that they are just way too pricey and I'm too cheap. I don't think they should cost nearly as much as they do, but I feel that way about a LOT of things, lol.
Cost is a huge factor for us. It's what lead me to K12 to start off with(and everything we really loved about it kept us there, lol). Anything I add on to what they get in their curriculum I have to get myself though. There are plenty of things I add on, or change, to suit their/our needs. I'm always looking for alternatives to actually purchasing things. Even used curriculum is often way too expensive for my taste, lol.

You're definitely not alone There are lots of families who homeschool on a budget, or piece part their curriculum together from many different sources. One of the moms I met at testing is now homeschooling her grand daughter. She is using k12 now because she's special needs but all of her 5 children(including this girl's mom) were homeschooled 100% free without ever buying a lick of curriculum.
July 22nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I've done it myself. I found I ended up spending almost as much as I do now and I got super burned out, particularly in the higher grades. That said, I have not found anything all put together I particularly like for high school and so I am writing my own lesson plans and using a combination of stuff (and so I have already started working on 9th grade and she is entering 8th this fall - I need the time).

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

July 22nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Regular
...well. I guess now I don't feel quite so alone! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find much here because there's so much talk of curriculum and all that, when I'm not really using one.

All that aside, I'll have to take a look through the links up top and see about finding some more free online resources.

...now, if only I can manage to get DS to sit down for more than ten minutes at a time, I'd be pretty much good to go!

[/CENTER]
July 22nd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
If you're ever looking for anything specific, give the board a holler
I've got links out the butt, they're just not all on this pc, lol. I've been so lazy about transferring them, since all I have to do is switch to the other to find them, lol. But I'd be happy to help you find stuff if you ever need anything specific. People here like to help others out and they have a wealth of information too. Always nice to share links as the board has tons of lurkers too who just come for info.(I was one for many, many months, lol)

I rarely participate in any threads that discuss curriculum, because I can't. Well, not really anyway, lol. Surprisingly although some of their workbooks and all of the teacher manuals say K12 on them and are *for the K12 curriculum, most of the other aspects are actually things found in many other curriculum packs or things they'd likely have even in a public school setting. I think it's something a lot of people don't realize. Just because a company, or whatever, slaps their name on a boxed set, doesn't necessarily mean they did anything other than put various parts together. Which is something we all could do too, and in many cases might even be able to do cheaper, lol.
July 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
You're definitely not alone! In fact, I'm one of the only ones in my HS group who primarily uses published materials. I don't have a problem with piecing things together. It's just that I don't have time. I'm running my own business and teaching at church, too. It would be too overwhelming. I HAVE pieces things together from internet resources, and still find myself doing that when I can't find exactly what I want, but I usually use published curricula.

As was already said - if you're looking for something specific, let us know. We can help. I have hundreds of education links in my stash of favorites. It's mind-numbing sometimes to know that we'll never get around to using them all!
July 23rd, 2011, 05:24 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You're definitely not alone! I was extremely financially strapped when my daughter was doing pre-k, and I just used what I could find. She still learned faster than I could teach her, and more than I thought possible for a 2-3 year old. I actually think it's a great way to teach, because it requires so much attention to detail and interaction between you and your son.
Now, our finances have stabilized, and I've been able to buy more workbook/curriculum materials for kindergarten, but only because it's easier for me.

Have you ever read 'The Well-Trained Mind'? As with all books, I take some of it with a grain of salt, but a lot of what she says is right on. She actually recommends teaching Science and History without textbooks, from materials you can find at the library/bookstore. In fact a lot of her curriculum ideas are economical and make-it-yourself kinds of things. They have a copy of the book right at our library, and I check it out whenever I want to reread something

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 23rd, 2011, 10:52 AM
Regular
I am piecing my curriculum together for now mostly because I am so overwhelemed with all the choices that are out there. Next month I will be buying a math curriculum(not sure which one yet) and a Language Arts program(again still on the fence but leaning toward R&S). But for everyhing else I am going to be doing unit studies and lap/notebooking.
July 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are using curriculum but one of my best friends who homeschools designs her own. She did an amazing job at putting things together that worked for her son and paid virtually nothing other than material costs! Her 16 year old is already in college

July 27th, 2011, 02:34 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am using lots of free online curriculum (specifcally Letter of the Week) for my preschool age kiddo. That and lots of free print-outs that I choose for what I want her to work on and what she needs to work or just wants to work on. I don't plan on buying much of anything the next few years. Other than that, I do have a handful of books my mom gave me, like getting ready for K books, early learning books and a BrainQuest workbook.
July 28th, 2011, 04:57 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Your not alone!! I piece together things to make things work. I am doing that for PreK now and doing it for some of history and science as well as handwriting.
I don't have a huge budget either to be able to spend on curriculum and have to really watch what I spend.
July 28th, 2011, 03:47 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I'm putting together my own PreK and K curriculum for my daughter to use in about a year. It will save me money and since I was a teacher I have experience in what I want to use!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 30th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Last year was my first year home-schooling and I used worksheets offline for everything. In a way thats better because if my son would've been in public schools,he wouldve been bored out of his mind. He did mostly first grade with some second grade work. This year I'm doing everything offline for my 4 year old but using curriculm for my son just because I don't think I'd be good enough at making my own lol.
July 30th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I pieced together my curriculum until my DS started 7th grade.

August 5th, 2011, 03:58 PM
mommytokem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've tried piecing together my curriculum and failed miserably until I found Ambleside Online and most of the books that they use you can borrow from the library or I've also bought a lot of the books really cheap from the bookstore. Also I've been able to find through their facebook page free curriculum for math and science.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search