Home School groups

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
How many of you are part of a local homeschool group? and what kinds of activities do they do??

I'm just starting out and there are a few groups in my surrounding area (within 15 mi). One is quite expensive $110/mo family rate for all activities (enrichment classes that include music instruction, family days, field trips, etc) anyway that is too much money for me to pay out a month with just one child home schooling. If I had even two I'd think it was quite the deal!

The other group is pay by the class enrichment with opportunities to volunteer to discount the fee, holiday parties, field trips, Mom's group, forum support, etc.

The third group has a one time fee enrichment classes that last 24 weeks. They also have field trips and group meetings. You don't have to do enrichment classes to participate.

What do you all do??

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 22nd, 2011, 08:23 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I'm in 5 groups, and they're all free. One is for the entire metro area and for all ages. I mostly use that one for information. They're great about doing things at the high school level, though (prom, graduation, etc.). The second is for the northern area of the metro, and it's mostly for park days. The third is for K-4th graders in the north area (I'm the admin of that one). It's mostly for field trips and parent informationals. We have an optional co-op with a supply fee, but it's minimal, and I don't participate in it. The fourth is a preschool group (a sister group to the one I admin, so we have a lot of overlapping membership with siblings). It's for 0-5 year olds, and it mostly does educational playdates ("playdates with a purpose" or "directed play"), and field trips. The fifth is strictly for field trips. I rarely go with that group, because they're not very friendly. They sometimes get good deals that I can't pass up, though. LOL!
July 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I have joined a yahoo group that covers our area - although it covers a pretty large area and most members don't seem to be close to me. They have info and playdate/feild trip things. There's no fee - just pay for activities when you go. I am pretty new to the group and haven't done anything with them yet.

July 22nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
Super Mommy
We're in 3 groups. One is a co-op with classes ever other week for $25 a year. That Co-op is very intermingled w/ a local inclusive home school group. The home school group does monthly skating, monthly mom's night out, monthly project days, field trips, Dances 2x a year, picnics, annual curriculum fair and testing. There is also a state wide home school group that is starting this year that is doing a curriculum share, curriculum fair, camping, field trips. The second are free but certain events cost about $5 per person.
July 23rd, 2011, 06:16 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm not in any groups. But...I have a kindergartener and a 2-year-old, so I haven't even had time to think about it, lol. We live in a pretty rural part of the world, so I don't even know if there are any.

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

July 23rd, 2011, 10:57 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We looked into a local co-op group but it wasn't the right fit for our family. We may end up doing field trips with them as they get a great discount for events/plays/etc. I suspect we will look into a University model school when Evelyn gets older. I like the idea of her having some instruction with other kids but since we have so many young children it made it hard to take volunteer jobs at the co-op right now.

She does do gymnastics and German dancing once a week. My husband is home with the kids during the day and I think this year he's going to plan Friday outings and invite other friends so it will be a very unstructured homeschool "group".

July 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
right now, I am in group thru my church. There are about 40-50 kids in my church that are homeschooled. We do monthly field trips.
I will also be joining another homeschool group in August. They have classes if I want to do them along with monthly meetings/ monthly skating/and field trips... There is a fee of $25 I believe

July 23rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
I was so surprised at the size of these groups!! Two of my local groups have over 200 families! I know that is k-12 but wow!

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 27th, 2011, 03:48 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
not much of a homeschooling community around here. i know of one group that is over an hour away and it is not sure if they will have it at all this coming year (Thea is a year or two too young for that one anyways). it has group lessons and is a supplement curriculum, but i don't know what all it covers yet. i am going to an open house in the fall.
There are only two other families that homeschool in my town that i am aware of. one is an woman with three older boys and the other is our neighbor's and good friend that have a 5 year old girl. we plan on doing projects (science and art) together this year and also some lessons that we can tailor to both girls. we both are also in the same mom's/play group but no one else in in homeschools.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search