I think I've finally decided

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Since Cassidy does so well with workbooks/worksheets, I've decided that most of her K program will use that format. After going back and forth about what I wanted to get for about 3 weeks, lol, I think I've finally settled on what I'm getting her.

Phonics/Reading:
CLP Adventures in Phonics (yes, I know some find it boring, but I have the book and it looks great to me...not sure what the fuss is about)
Explode the Code books 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5
Spectrum Phonics and Reading just for review

Handwriting:
CLP In the Beginning K program (a simple once a week program)

Math:
CLP Liberty Math (I chose this because she's so young and it is a nice slow introduction to math)
Spectrum Math for extra practice
Kumon Workbooks for extra practice in telling time and counting money

Science:
CLP The World God Made (simple, once or twice a week program just to introduce science)

So that's it. I added the Spectrum workbooks and so forth to add up to 180-200 days, because the main programs are only about 100-120 days.
It will be easy for her and she's already begging to do the books I've gotten so far. I don't know if we'll make it to September 5 to start! I have a feeling that me wanting to start her slow and easy because of her age will result in her flying through it and me ordering Rod & Staff Grade 1 about halfway through the year

I thought about Horizons K and a few others, including Saxon, but I know those programs are fast-paced and advanced, and I really wanted something simple and slower. So far I'm thrilled with what I've gotten, and really looking forward to using it! What do you guys think?

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

July 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Alison79's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like you have a great plan! I've been following my daughter's lead and in handwriting she's right on K level but for spelling and math she's moving at a much faster pace. She's moved through two years of math and a year of spelling in just 6 months. It's really so much fun to watch their progress
July 23rd, 2011, 11:35 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
it looks great I am a big fan and spender of CLP.. I have used the phonics program for 1st and 2nd grade. My dd liked it. I have also used the science.

July 23rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmommato3 View Post
it looks great I am a big fan and spender of CLP.. I have used the phonics program for 1st and 2nd grade. My dd liked it. I have also used the science.
I really like their books so far! It's nice to hear someone who has used them say good things as well

Sara's beautiful children: Cassidy (5y) and Joel (3y 4m) and Timothy (almost 8 months)
Yes, I know I need a new picture .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search