Is it possible?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2011, 10:44 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
Hi ladies! I've got some questions that I hope you might be able to answer for me... My four-year-old is very advanced. She is reading at a third grade level, she can write all her letters and numbers and complete sentences, can count well over 100, do basic addition and subtraction, tell time, etc. In a few weeks she is going to go to school for the first time ever at a private preschool. In the past, I wanted to homeschool her because I wanted to make sure that she got a good education, but she has been BEGGING to go to school since she was 2. She's a very social child, and she is so looking forward to going to school, so I can't deny her. So, off to pre-k she will go in a few weeks!

Now for my questions.. She is well beyond the pre-k curriculum at her school. She's actually beyond the kindergarten curriculum, too, but I think she would have been just fine in kindergarten this year. Because she misses the cutoff, though, she HAS to go to pre-k, whereas my nephew, who is only 6 weeks older than she is and can barely hold a crayon, is starting kindergarten. I know that cutoff dates exist for a reason, but I feel like my child is being held back because she misses the date by a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be possible to send her to the private pre-k this year (it's only 4 hours a day) and, at the same time, homeschool her in kindergarten at home? After this school year, we are moving from Georgia to Louisiana (my husband is military). If I were able to homeschool her in kindergarten while she attends pre-k at a private school this year, would she be able to enter first grade at a public school in Louisiana the following school year? Is there a test or something that she could take? I really don't know much about homeschooling, so I thought that I'd come "straight to the source," so to speak.

Thank you in advance for any advice or information!
July 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Well, I just found this info that doesn't look to promising. It's not the parish that we will be living in, but the parish that my family in Louisiana lives in. I assume it will probably be the same for the parish we will be living in, though.

1st Grade:
A student transferring from home schooling as a first grade student into the Jefferson Parish Public Schools must have reached the age of six by September 30th to be eligible for first grade and must pass the Academic Readiness Screening
July 31st, 2011, 12:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
We're in the same situation. Schools frown on grade acceleration and grade skipping as a rule (although, there are exceptions in some schools). We decided to homeschool when mine was 3.5, and never looked back. He's 5.5 now. He'll be "in 3rd" this year, doing 5th for English, Latin, and Bible, and he's on an adult reading level. He won't be formally tested for giftedness until January (because he needs to be 6 for the type of testing recommended).

Do what you feel is best, however, I think homeschooling is the best option, hands-down, for kids who are a year or more advanced and not allowed to compensate for it in public schools.

Oh... and you should read this... vol 1 of the report is plenty (vol 2 is the nitty-gritty statistics and stuff, which is mostly boring). IRPA - A Nation Deceived - Get Report
July 31st, 2011, 05:34 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
In the public school system there is often a possibility for a gifted 4 year old to enter K early. In NC all you have to do is have your child tested by an approved center. However, you want to be careful with skipping grades in general due to social and mental readiness. Academically students may out do their counterparts but it can make children feel extremely awkward or they may learn much more from older children than you want them to. Just a thought.

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
July 31st, 2011, 08:12 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
I would say to let her go to pre-k, do anything she is interested in doing at home with her (I would say to let it be completely child led though since she is already doing a formal school day). Chances are she will be bored to tears in "school" and begging to be homeschooled by the next year. Just make sure she has dance class or some other social outlet to feel connected to other kids since she enjoys social situations

August 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill0924 View Post
I would say to let her go to pre-k, do anything she is interested in doing at home with her (I would say to let it be completely child led though since she is already doing a formal school day). Chances are she will be bored to tears in "school" and begging to be homeschooled by the next year. Just make sure she has dance class or some other social outlet to feel connected to other kids since she enjoys social situations
I agree. My nephew the same age and is in the same boat, he is gifted on an academic sense, but emotionally he is at age level and being able to complete physical challenges he is below because he has medical issues.
What are your thoughts on homeschooling her? Is there a reason why you don't want to?
August 1st, 2011, 06:49 PM
She has been involved in social outlets since she was 18 months old. She goes to karate twice a week and gymnastics once a week and she LOVES the interaction with other children and she loves the physical part of it all as well! She also wants to take piano lessons, but I don't want to wear her out..

I would like to homeschool her, but she WANTS to go to school, have a teacher, a desk, recess, lunch in a cafeteria (even though I'll pack her lunch), etc. When she's a little older, if she wants to homeschool, we will do it. For now, though, she REALLY wants to go to school.
August 1st, 2011, 07:00 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
First, I'd recommend "music" lessons rather than "piano" lessons. My major was music. Children typically don't have the motor skills to do piano until they're 8. With the right combination of early motor skills, long attention span, and multiplication/division skills, a younger child can do well on piano. Most don't, and learn to hate it before having a chance to love it.

Second, if your heart is set on homeschooling, you'll be able to explain the reasons and just do it. If you're torn, let her try whatever she wants, but keep an open mind about switching gears halfway through the year if necessary. If you want her to try PS, limit what you teach her at home right now. Otherwise, she'll be extreeeemely bored and will end up hating school or getting in trouble. At first, she'll think it's cool to do all the "stuff" (recess, lunch, etc.) and be the teacher's pet for knowing all the answers, but soon, the glory will wear off and boredom will set in. When she no longer jumps out of bed in the morning anxious to go to school, it'll be time for a talk to decide what to do next.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search