Crafts, Compassion, and Making a Difference

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2011, 09:17 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
This can easily go into a lesson about community service and how one person, even a child, can make a difference. After yet another hospital stay and surgery, 5 year old Aubrey decided to create a program where she collects cards for others in the hospital. They specifically enjoy handmade cards, which is where crafting comes in.

Jellyfish Wishes | Facebook
Jellyfish Wishes: Our first Jellyfish, Ryan

A second example of how a CHILD can make a difference is little Emily. After Emily's baby brother had a stroke, she reflected on her feelings and fear she had during that time. She decided that something needed to be done, not only to cheer up the ill child, but also the child's siblings. With this thought she created Emily's Smile Boxes. A member of this board has benefited from Emily's generosity when her children received boxes during Joey's chemo.

Emily's Smile Boxes Non-profit | Facebook
Emilys Smile Boxes

And a third is an amazing little girl named Syd. Syd created her "business" when she was only 8. Sydney has the same disease Joey has. In her desire for a cure (so that other kids wouldn't have to go through what she has) she started making and selling necklaces donating all money to research. In just five years time, this child has raised $127,000 for research!!!

Syd Rocks - Sydney Martin LCH Langerhan's Cell Histiocytosis

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Last edited by esparando para bebé; August 2nd, 2011 at 09:24 AM.
August 2nd, 2011, 10:11 AM
sarah1up's Avatar Member
Thanks for sharing! I love Jellyfish Wishes, I think it's something my preschooler can help with and understand. Sounds like we have a craft tomorrow.
August 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Very cool! Thank you!

(By the way... I don't remember ever seeing a picture of you two together... love the siggy. Your dh is cute. )
August 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Very cool! Thank you!

(By the way... I don't remember ever seeing a picture of you two together... love the siggy. Your dh is cute. )
Thanks, and really? I think he's been in all of my siggies. And I know there are tons on FaceBook.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I guess I just never paid attention before??
August 2nd, 2011, 04:40 PM
kalis's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Those are great! Thanks for sharing that. At Thea's age she already likes to put her change in the Riley's collection wells at Wal-Mart (she brings $ from her piggy bank just for this) and understands that it goes to help sick kids.
Jellyfish Wishes sure would be a great way to introduce the concept of not just helping others, but helping them feel better/happy. Adding this to my list of projects!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search