Tracking you hours?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Super Mommy
Although I don't have to keep any formal record this yr (DS won't be 7 until next August) I want to track our hours just so I have an idea when we start next yr and are required to have our 1000 hours. I was wondering how you all track your hours? Do you set a timer or check the clock and write down the exact amount of time (Example 35 minutes on math) or do you count each lesson as an hour (lesson 1=1 hr even if only took 30 minutes). I think in the public schools they get credit for teh lessons not the actual amount of time used for it but was curious as to what you all do. TIA.

August 7th, 2011, 08:11 PM
amanda_jane15's Avatar Super Mommy
As far as I know we don't have to track hours, just days.

Thank you Sharon for my siggy!
August 8th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Well technically, since we use K12, they track the hours for us. As in, we have to mark off each day when we work on a subject and they have some set defaults(but you can input whatever time you want in the slot, the requirement for a full school year is 920 hours though-based on the public school requirement in my state-kindergarten is 460 required hours) I'm fairly certain in this state you have to keep track of hours anyway. They can be royal pains here just to be jerks, you're better off keeping a log anyway.

But because I'm weird, I keep track of our hours just for me, in a separate file on my comp. I do that mostly so I can look back on it. Like if we don't seem to be getting too far in something I can look back and see "well we only spent 20 minutes on that today" or "we've been spending a good hour or more on it far too many times this month" and such. Or sometimes I notice we're way ahead of where I planned we'd be, so I can look back. This is only our second year and as much as I'd like to believe everyone is a natural born teacher, that's just not the reality of it, lol. I LIKE knowing where my kids are, how we're doing, where we've been, how long it takes us to do something, things like this. I like to be able to not only see the progress in them and their knowledge, but actually physically SEE the progress, lol. I'm kind of an odd bear though and I tend to do things just a wee bit out of the norm.
That's not to say we have any specific set times for each subject, except piano, Spanish and spelling. Spelling we spend no more than maybe 20 minutes, usually it's less than that, more like 10, lol. Spanish will be 30-40 mins. There will be Spanish included in their spelling too, though. Piano is 45 mins per kiddo at least 3 days a week. I'd prefer 5 days, but we'll just have to see how that works out. I do have subjects we do daily, but how long it takes us varies. Language arts(which includes reading, literature, vocabulary, GUM, spelling, handwriting and composition), Math and Spanish are done daily. Science, History(broken down into World, and State), Geography, Music, PE,Home Ec, Technology and Art will be rotated around. Science usually works out to 2-3 times per week-and we do a few subjects at once, unless we're working with experiments when it might drag out all week. We're big science geeks . Winter time, PE gets severely cut back, unfortunately living in the snowbelt with unpredictable weather, it's bound to happen. Music is a daily thing-in fact there is music playing in the house nearly 24/7. But their actual music studies aren't a daily thing.

That was probably way more than you really wanted to know, huh?
To give you a short answer, I actually do mark, in my own files, the exact(round up/down a few mins if needed) time we spend per subject, per day.
August 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
We don't have to track attendance, but I do out of curiosity. I don't track hours, though, just days. I make a mark in a spreadsheet for each day we do school

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

August 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
I am in Ohio. We just need 900 hours. I usually do around 3-4 hours a day for a typical school day.. We do around 200 days of school a year. We have several field trips that count as 8 hours a day... so it all balances out. I just track our days

August 9th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Veteran
Just days here too. There is a form provided to make it easy. I just check the box for each day "on which academic instruction and educational activities were conducted."
August 13th, 2011, 07:55 PM
mommytokem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually use a program that tracks the days, but not the hours, it also is where all the activities are kept and when ds gets something done I can check it off for the day, week whatever. It also helps us keep track of what books we use and when since once he turns 8 we have to start reporting to the state.
August 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I don't have to track anything, thankfully. I have appx 200 days scheduled each year using a spreadsheet for all the assignments, but I delete each day as I go so that the spreadsheet is empty at the end of the year. I probably shouldn't do it that way, but oh well. I have all the work that was done, so it should count for something, right?
August 15th, 2011, 08:11 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
The only thing I have to track is days, we have to do 180 days. I have seen several things that you can use though for tracking hours. You can do that with Homeschool Tracker (you can buy the pro but most people don't) or you can use Edu-Track

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search