Politics.. *You've been warned*

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 20th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Rochelle
Please don't shoot me but I wanted to share this info I found about 2012 pres. candidate Ron Paul and his great stance on Homeschool. I worry a lot about the UN treaty and if it gets passed here how that will affect our rights to homeschool. So, I figure who we vote in as president is an important step in protecting our right to chose our children's education.

This is directly from his website and the link is below. Thanks and sorry if this annoys anyone. That's not my intention.

"HOMESCHOOLING CHAMPION

Ron Paul believes no nation can remain free when the state has greater influence over the knowledge and values transmitted to children than the family does.

And the truth is, no big government spending program can or will solve our nationís education problems.

One-size-fits-all central planning simply does not work.

As a congressman, Ron Paul has been a consistent supporter of homeschooling and educational freedom.

Being a homeschooling parent takes a unique dedication to family and education.
TAX CREDITS FOR HOMESCHOOLING

In many cases, homeschooling families must forgo the second income of one parent, as well as incur the costs of paying for textbooks, computers, and other school supplies.

And with combined taxes taking almost 50 percent of the average familyís income, there is little left over for low- and middle-class parents to even consider other educational opportunities.

Thatís why, during his time in Congress, Ron Paul has introduced legislation to:

* Help parents better educate their children by providing parents with a $5,000 per child tax credit for tutors, books, computers, and other K-12 related educational needs.

* Ensure that the federal government treats high school diplomas earned through homeschooling the same as other high school diplomas.
PUT PARENTS BACK IN CHARGE

Congressman Paul wants parents to have the freedom to choose the best educational options for their children, and his commitment to ensuring homeschooling remains a practical alternative for American families is unmatched by any other Presidential candidate.

As President, he will veto any legislation that encroaches on homeschooling parentsí rights.

Returning control of education to parents and teachers on the local level is the centerpiece of Ron Paulís education agenda."

Homeschooling | | Ron Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign CommitteeRon Paul 2012 Presidential Campaign Committee
September 20th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Super Mommy
I kinda feel Governors have more control over that then presidents.
September 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Rochelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguels mommy View Post
I kinda feel Governors have more control over that then presidents.
That's true if homeschooling is not made illegal but if the UN treaty gets signed by the U.S. president then the whole country faces homeschooling rights being taken away.

HSLDA’s Department of Federal Relations—Understanding the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child
September 20th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
That concept has been debunked over the last few years. HSLDA is, shall we say, rather alarmist. The president has very little if anything to do with homeschooling. It's a state level thing, hence why some states are "easy" and some are "hard" to homeschool in and we all have different requirements. I seriously doubt ANY republican candidate would sign that particular treaty. For that matter, the fact that Obama has ignored it for 2 1/2 years says something about whether any president at all would sign it.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

September 20th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Rochelle
I hope you're right. That treaty getting passed here would be awful for so many reasons.
September 22nd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope he wins and is able to make that happen. I just read up and I will be voting for him
September 23rd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Rochelle
That's awesome!
September 23rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So far from what I have read of the candidates I am leaning towards voting for Ron Paul. But to be fair, I have to say I greatly dislike Perry, and would not vote for him as president under any circumstances.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

September 23rd, 2011, 06:49 AM
Rochelle
Yea, Perry is a skeeze! That Gardasil mandate was insane.
September 23rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
Well let me say that I like that Perry is a Christian and conservative. But being from Texas myself, I think the man is just an idiot. I always got a sleezy vibe from him but when he started going around the state saying we would just secede from the union I was done. I know a lot of people in Texas think we still have that right but we don't, we gave up that right in 1876 when we wrote our last constitution during the reformation. As governor you should know this. I also think that him going around the state saying that, even if we still did have that right, shows a huge lack of patriotism for our nation. Yet you now want to run that nation?

He also brags about having a even budget blah, blah, blah. He doesn't say that he greatly cut our hospitals and public schools funding, at a huge devastation to both areas, in order to make his budget work.

Oh and about the gardasil vaccine, I am not against the vaccine, although I do not think any vaccine should be forced on anyone. I do have a problem with at first they didn't tell you that the vaccine only works if you get it before you are ever sexually active. Which a lot of people, including myself, did not find out until it was too late. That shot freakin' hurts by the way.

September 23rd, 2011, 07:40 AM
Rochelle
TBH I just learned way more about him from you than I knew prior bc as soon as we found out Ron Paul is running, all other candidates just didn't compare. We voted for Ron last time too.

Anyways, I did catch the Repub debates and based on Perry's facial expressions and body language alone, it spoke volumes about his character. He's just "in it to win it" and doesn't strike me as someone with passion about this country. "Mr. pretty boy" Romney irked me a bit more though with his arrogant, smug, "I'm gonna win" attitude.

I'm not going to lie, we don't use vaccines but even if we did, (like you said) no one should ever force them on anyone, period. That's irrefutable. He had no choice but to admit, right there on stage, that he messed up.
September 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
If it came down to Romney or Perry I would vote for Romney. If it was between Romney and Obama in the end I would also vote for Romney. If it is between Perry and Obama in the end, I am probably not voting, or I will write in someone else. I can't vote for Perry or Obama (even though I voted for Obama in 2008) on good conscience.

I admit that I do not know a lot about Romney though so I will have to study about him and Paul before I make a final decision on who to vote for between the two.

September 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ron Paul! I hope he wins and treaties have to be ratified (2/3 congress vote) for the treaty to go into effect.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

September 23rd, 2011, 10:46 AM
Rochelle
Meagan, I agree with you.. lesser of two evils kind of thing. Not sure if I'd do that or write in Ron Paul if it came down to that.

Right on Fluffy!
September 23rd, 2011, 11:27 AM
I am just praying it doesn't come down to it lol.

September 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Rochelle
Ditto!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search