HELP!!!!!!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2006, 02:24 PM
ilovemy3wikids
I know that I am making the right decision to homeschool my daughter but I feel so overwhelmed. I have saxon math and phonics which I like cause the work is all laid out. I also have a spanish book for her that came with a curriculium in it. Now for science and social studies I am so overwhelmed. I have alot of workbooks and books with experiments and such and don't know where to start
July 7th, 2006, 02:51 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay...I would pick something and make a unit out of it for the week. Look through your books and have her help you to find what she wants to learn. There is so much to do and learn about each subject. If you did that she would be one wise little gal! You can do this! Have fun! Science is exploring her world as it comes. If she has a rock or bug phase go with it. If she wants to see and learn about bunnies then do that for a week. The pet stores have bunnies she can go and look at and you can talk about them. History...goodness history is a never ending learning treat! If she loves ancient history find something on that. If she wants to study the presidents go with that to. There is so very much to do. Good luck! We are here!

July 7th, 2006, 03:08 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How old is your daughter? I am writing my own history units and starting at the beginning. then going in chronological order. Do you want Christian or secular? I have included science in it as it seems appropriate. For example we will start at creation and that has lots of science opportunities such as experiments with light and dirt. If I was to buy a curriculum I'd probably go with http://christiancottage.com/units.html

Editing to add that your siggy for whatever reason wasn't showing and now it is! so I see you dd is 5. I'm not planning to start history till my dd is 6 or 7. At the moment we do Five In A Row and home made letter themes, both of which has occational science in it. Like we started the letter A and went and collected some ants for a home made ant farm. Watching and caring for the ants was the science.
I don't think formal science or history is needed at 5 or 6 unless your daughter is wanting to learn things and then its best to go with her interests. You want to be careful not to overload her or yourself on workbooks.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 7th, 2006, 04:54 PM
ilovemy3wikids
well, she said that she wants do do animals. We have a workbook that has activities and experiments and such but it really jumps around and I'm not sure where to begin for organizing it. uggg. Maybe I just need to step back or something cause it seems way to confusing right now. We are looking at secular. She is so smart and learns so fast!!! I just want to do everything right!
July 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok if she wants to do animals you will have heaps and heaps to chooce from.
You could start by breaking the animals into groups and making each one a unit study for as long as she is interested. So farm animals, jungle animals, rainforest animals, pond life animals comes straight to mind. I probably wouldn't be doing the themes as mamiles, reptiles, rodents etc yet. But you will find heaps of preK, K and grade 1 resourses on the internet with Farm animals, rainforest animals etc.
So if you decide on pond life, simply Google 'pond life animals for Kindergarden' I just did and got plenty straight away. Heres a few that came up
http://www.prekinders.com/pondlifeunit.htm (really like this one)
http://www.ranchoelchorro.org/pdf/kinder_p...son.outline.pdf
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/conker/pond-dip/
then you can look up specific animals.

The way I orginize things like this is to copy the sites address into a Word document. You can cilick on them from there and each will open. You can also copy paragraphs of text and write your own text in there.
HTH

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 10th, 2006, 07:53 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
Have you looked at the Well Trained Mind? You could do something like that with animals this year.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search