New to this board

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2012, 09:45 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Hi all! I'm Jeri, a long time member of JM, but only off and on visitor/poster. I've actually been lurking here for a couple weeks, but am finally going to "officially" jump in. I have two sons, ages 10 and 5, but am only homeschooling my youngest, Quinn. I hope to homeschool my oldest next year, but am divorced from his dad and have to get his "okay" before we can start. He's currently thinking it over.

I started homeschooling Quinn a couple months ago because of difficulties he was having in public school. He has Asperger's and was having a lot of anxiety and meltdowns because of having to go there, so I finally decided I'd had enough and wanted to try my hand at it. I am SO glad I did. His behavioral issues are all but gone and his social aspects have improved tenfold. Instead of having forced socialization that wasn't being monitored, he has relaxed socialization that is so much more meaningful and successful. It's quality above quantity. Everyone who knows him has commented on how much better he is about making eye contact and having conversations. He is so much happier, calmer, and has almost no anxiety now in everyday things, which is just a miracle to me. I have NO doubt we made the right choice when pulling him and deciding to homeschool.

We are using Hooked on Phonics to teach him to read, along with reading lots and lot of books. We are also following the Five in a Row curriculum ideas, though not necessarily the books they are recommending. I love the concept of FIAR, but we are going with good literature that he's interested in instead of their book lists. We are still reading it for 5 days and have planned activities every day that relate to the FIAR book. This week we're on dinosaurs and read a Caldecott winner about dinos. Next year I plan on finding another curriculum, perhaps Tapestry of Grace (it's my fave so far) and using Math-U-See for mathematics.

I live in Missouri and we have very little as far as regulatory laws for homeschooling and my city has a fantastic homeschool community that we have dove into. I absolutely love schooling him like I had no idea I would and love getting the chance to teach him myself. We are casting our net very wide because he is very, very smart and remembers everything he's taught (an excellent memory is an Asperger's thing), so we are bringing in lots of special interests and taking this opportunity to teach him things he might never have learned otherwise. It's so fun and rewarding.

Okay, I'll stop with my novel. I look forward to "meeting" you all.
February 3rd, 2012, 11:14 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
WELCOME!! I'm also homeschooling an Aspie with a wonderful memory. He learns easily, and in controlled situations, he's very social. He completely melts down to the point of panic when in a loud or chaotic situation, though. For example, I run a book business. We dropped off some fundraiser books at a private school this past week. We know most of the kids at that school, so they let my kids play at recess while I talked to the directors. He couldn't handle it at all! My 3 year old was just fine playing with a bunch of PreK-4th graders, but my 6 y/o came to me telling me he needed to get away from it all. We had to find a quiet place for him behind a shelf to read a book. I have no doubt he'd be miserable in a regular classroom situation day after day!
February 4th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, he was not doing well in his classroom at all. He wasn't making friends or really interacting at all and he was having horrible meltdowns at home and night terrors, which was just so unpleasant for him. Homeschooling has made a world of difference.
February 4th, 2012, 06:27 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hi there

I'm Michelle. I have three kiddos, Alexis is 13, Alyssia is 10(and 3/4 she says, lol) and Leo is 8.
This is our second year homeschooling, and we absolutely love it. Having them here at home has been a godsend in many ways. Last year we primarily did all grade level stuff and didn't venture too much higher than that. But after testing I quickly realized that they exceed far above and beyond grade level in many areas. Now all basics are at grade level, and then we expand. Science is one topic we combine most things on, and we're all over the map with it. Everything from Earth and Life Science to Chemistry, lol.

This isn't something they would have been able to do when they were in school because the only gifted/talented classes offered are an all or nothing sort of deal. No going higher on specific subjects, while staying on level in others.

I pulled them out of public school December 2010 and it was the best decision I've made in a very long time. Leo couldn't read-despite the fact that he repeated kindergarten and was, at the time, almost halfway through 1st grade. They, by law, have to offer Title 1 reading here, but it doesn't start until April. Basically, too late to really do any good. He would have failed 1st grade. They determine which kids will fail or get held back, in early May here.
Now he's reading at a 3rd-4th grade level. Not too shabby for a kid who only a year ago was just barely getting a good grasp on reading. Once he gains a bit more confidence in himself, he'll be doing even better.

The anxiety level definitely drops for a lot of kids, I think, when put into a different environment. Being at home just makes things so much easier. Of course we're pretty lax on where the work gets done too. Today Leo had to finish up some Math we didn't get to yesterday(his choice to do it today too, said he didn't want to be behind on Monday). He was doing it while hanging upside down off the arm of the couch. Got it done in record time too.(and it was right, lol)
February 5th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Veteran
Welcome.

I just wanted to say that it is driving me batty that your name is ringing bells in my head but I can't place the connection for the life of me (I've never kept a board name for very long so you wouldn't be able to help by recognizing me besides, I don't believe we've ever had direct interaction and whatever connection it is, it is years old). I think I have some very faint memory of you explaining from where Jewinjuwa originates .. and of always being uncertain how to pronounce it.

Gah! Anyway .. like I said, Welcome!
February 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Mrs. P, we probably have met. I was Snakes-n-Snails for a while and CrunchyMom too, I think. I formerly frequented Green Mommies, Cloth Diapering, Attachment Parenting, and a few other "crunchy" boards. Jewinjuwa is pronounced just like it looks and is a nickname my sister's game me a long time ago. I actually can't remember how it came about because they've called me that as long as I can remember.
February 5th, 2012, 01:13 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Ah!!! I remember snakes-n-snails! WAHM? I think? Or financial planning? Where were you a few years ago?
February 5th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Yeah, I hosted the WAHM board for a while. I do remember you, Chrystal.
February 5th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewinjuwa View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Mrs. P, we probably have met. I was Snakes-n-Snails for a while and CrunchyMom too, I think. I formerly frequented Green Mommies, Cloth Diapering, Attachment Parenting, and a few other "crunchy" boards. Jewinjuwa is pronounced just like it looks and is a nickname my sister's game me a long time ago. I actually can't remember how it came about because they've called me that as long as I can remember.
Cloth Diapering - that would be it (and Green Mommies but that wasn't really very active when I used to visit).

Tags
asperger's , autism , homeschool

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search