Conventions

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 11:41 AM
silverlife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm debating what to do for the upcoming homeschool convention in my state. This will be my first year doing proper school (we'll be doing Kindergarten--I'm not counting the 'preschool when we feel like it' that I've done with my son when he asks to 'do school').

The pre-conference day is really the only one that has sessions that sound interesting for where I'm at. It would cost $30 and I could go to just that or I could pay the $30 in addition to the conference fee and do both.

But I also haven't chosen a phonics curriculum and was hoping to be able to look at the options while I'm there. Unfortunately the vendor hall is only open during the actual conference (and not the pre-conference). The conference itself is $70 for non-members (it's a 2-day conference). There are maybe 1 or 2 speakers/workshops that sound interesting to me. There is no way to go to the vendor hall without paying the full price.

I could get a membership and attend the normal conference for $80. Or I could just get a membership for $35. Membership would get me access to their online "handbook", which sounds like it's basically the state laws and requirements gathered in one place. I already know that I don't have to report or do anything special this year (and won't until he's in 2nd grade). But we aren't 100% sure we will stick with this (Kindergarten will be our trial year), so it might be good to have all the standards in one place so that my son wouldn't be behind if he goes to public school for 1st grade. But at the same time, those requirements are available for free on the state webpages, as long as you know where to look.

Going to any of the days requires a babysitter and/or my husband taking a day off of work (either to attend with me or to stay with the kids while I go). I can probably find a baby sitter for one day, but not 2-3 days.

Given the lack of sessions that sound interesting to me, I'm wondering if I should save the $70-$80 and put it toward curriculum instead. For the same price as the conference + one phonics curriculum I could buy two phonics curricula and use which ever one works best (rather than trying to decide that in the vendor hall).

But then again, maybe I'm missing something and these conventions are more useful than they sound?

Thoughts, advice, opinions?
February 8th, 2012, 12:57 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
As a vendor (I'm a book seller, you know?), I say pay a million bucks to get in the door each day and go with a pocket full of money. () Vendors are really hurting these days with the economy cutting conference attendances in half.

As a rational person () , I say skip the conference. Really. Anything you need to know can be found either online or by buying/borrowing the book of the person slated to speak, and you can find multiple curricula at homeschool stores. Where do you live? I can look for stores in your area.
February 8th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I've been able to borrow two of the ones I was thinking of. But another I'm thinking of has no samples online and no one I know personally uses it. I know they're at the convention because they're from my state and they go every year.

I would love to buy from the vendors at the convention--save on shipping and help out the vendors that pay a lot to attend the convention. But it makes no sense to me to pay $70 for the privilege of doing so.

The local Christian bookstore doesn't have a good selection--it's mostly "how to" books and Bible curriculum. There's a homeschool store that is an hour away from me, but they don't carry any of the various curricula I've been looking at.

What's really obnoxious is that there are actually two groups that put on a convention in the state. The other group doesn't charge to go to the vendor hall, but they have about 1/4 the number of vendors that show up. And their convention isn't until several months after my family will start homeschooling. So I can go to look at stuff for next year, but it won't help me for this year.
February 8th, 2012, 04:32 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
There is a really big one in Ohio that I would like to go to, but I am not sure I will make it there this year or not, too much going on. I havent been to others, that is the only one around here. I would love just to stroll through the venders and look at everything!!
February 8th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I have no advice, but I am very excited for my first convention this spring. I, personally, think the ability to get my hands on these curricula and talk to the vendors is worth the money I'm going to spend. I am worried about paying a large sum for a curriculum and then it not being good. It would be worth the $50+ for the convention just to make sure I don't make a huge mistake later. JMHO.
February 8th, 2012, 06:56 PM
See, I'm figuring that if I don't go, I can make a curriculum mistake and possibly still come out ahead. My first choice would have to be a bust and I'd have to find something more expensive than $70 (going just to the normal convention) to $110 (going to the pre-conference day, the convention, and buying a membership) in order for the convention to save me money by letting me see the curriculum first hand. And that's assuming I couldn't resell the first curriculum that didn't work out.
February 8th, 2012, 07:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
See... that's the real reason I said to skip it. I think going to a vendor hall once (or more than once) in your life is a great thing (overwhelming, but great). However, if you're not sure you'll continue, and if you've already weighed the cost of the conference against the cost of choosing the wrong curriculum, why waste the money?
February 8th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I did go a few years back (they were having a special deal where parents of preschoolers could go for free). I looked around the vendor hall, but I didn't get to spend as much time there as I would have wished. I also didn't look super close, as I knew I was a few years off from actually starting proper school.

Maybe I'll go in another two years (next year I'll be nursing a baby and although they have a room set aside for mothers to nurse in, it does make it harder to get the most out of the sessions and workshops). Plus, in another two years I'll want to be looking at Science and History curricula (I know what I want for K-2, but not for 3+), so there will be more things for me to look at.
February 8th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I get what you're saying. Your convention is more expensive than ours, so that's something to weigh too. Plus, this is my first year homeschooling, so I really need the hands-on part more than you. I agree that it's probably not worth it for you to go this time around and just buy curriculum/supplies with the money.
February 8th, 2012, 08:03 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Did you check to see about discount tickets? Here they offer discount tickets before the regular ticket sales start. I think they also discounted the vender hall pass too.
February 9th, 2012, 05:16 AM
The discount tickets were on sale in January, and were only $5 cheaper.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search