Tell me which curriculum to use

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Go ahead, just tell me which one to use and I'll use it. I'm tired of researching and shopping and googling. My brain is tired and I can't decide. There are some I like, some I really like, but can't afford, some I can afford, but only sorta like, etc, etc,,, So someone just pick one, any one, and have it shipped to me by August.

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 11th, 2006, 01:14 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I AM SO WHERE YOU ARE!!!!!

I like Horizons Math (but it only goes up to 6th grade). Now this is the only "packaged curriculum" that I've used to date, but next year I'm going to use Horizons for grammar and spelling as well.
I'm also going to use The Story of the World - Volime 1 for history, and I'm going to continue with An Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. Science is going to be via unit study - human body, five senses, nutrition, space, nature, etc. (BTW, Reilly is going into 1st grade.)

So, now go out and buy those things!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 11th, 2006, 02:46 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Robin, now you opened the can of worms!

Of course I will have to tell you to go buy something totaly diffrent!

Maths- Go buy Math-U-See! I believe it's the best hs math curriculum out there. I think mastery is way better then spiral, as a child has to understand why they are doing what they are doing and have there facts down solid before moving on. Some people think MUS dosn't have review, it does, three pages for each lesson.
http://www.mathusee.com/

Five In A Row- literature studies. This touches on geography, science, lanuage arts, maths, and art. It's a gentle way to introduce these things while discovering good literature. The Bible supliment covers Bible if you are after that as a topic. http://www.fiveinarow.com/

History/science- http://christiancottage.com/units.html If I wasn't writting my own this is what I would use.

Phonics/spelling- I am thinking of buying Alphabet Island phonics. I like the way they have a little story to teach the rules. It looks like a fun program. http://www.eagleswingsed.com/product...tml#AIComplete there is a link there to the first volume.

Now go and buy those!

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 12th, 2006, 09:20 AM
ilovemy3wikids
WOW! Your kiddos will be very busy if you get everyone's suggestions LOL!
July 15th, 2006, 01:06 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I am sorry! I feel like that with a lot of things in my life! Someone just tell me what to do! I am sure you will figure it out!

July 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what grade?

K & 1st Sing Spell Read & Write & lots of craft supplies

2nd-9th BJU or Konos or other multi year unit study & BJU math

9-12 the GED study manual & the SAT study manual

add extras by what intrest them

We have Unschooled as well & that means buying lots of learning toys,gadgets, zoo/,aquarium,ect passes
July 17th, 2006, 07:24 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
I was going to ask what grade too. I can give input, but need a grade level.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 17th, 2006, 09:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have a 2nd grader, with 3rd-4th grade reading abilities but has trouble with Math, and a 5th grader who tests at about 9th-10th grade across the board. They are both bookworms and I'm looking for something challenging so I'm considering Sonlight or something like it. I'll also need stuff to keep my 3 yr old busy and give her something to do so feel like she's doing school too.

See why I'm overwhelmed!

SciGuy,14 Butterfly Girl,12 Wyldchild,7 FlowerFairy,5 and Babybird,3

and RK, 13, exchange student from Japan

My Homeschooling Blog:
July 17th, 2006, 01:35 PM
fka teresarunningmommy
Oh, you need to check out Learning Adventures. I think you could do it with a 5th and a 2nd grader. Lady Belle and I will be using it next year. It's Christian based which I am assuming is not a problem since you are considering Sonlight. Here's a link to it. http://www.learning-adventures.org/

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 17th, 2006, 02:34 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would definatly recomend the Math-U-See then. I know on the email list there are a lot of people who had strugling kids who switched over to MUS and have found it to be the only thing that worked.
FIAR can be used as a booklist if the manual is not challanging enough. It's ment for 4-8 years. There is also 'Before Five In A Row' for your 3 year old, and there is a 'Beyound Five In A Row' as well as 'Above and beyond' if your kids need more challange.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search