Had a great day!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Jewinjuwa

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2012, 01:44 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
I've had just about the greatest day! We had a field trip with our homeschool group to a popular pizza/game place in town and they had a Mad Science presentation for us to see. The presentation was okay, not the best one I've seen, but I had such a good time with Quinn playing games and stuff. After we had spent our money on games, we sat and chatted with the other moms and it was wonderful. I loved chatting with like-minded people who understood homeschooling and didn't say any of the ignorant and uninformed things I typically here. It was great.

Before the science presentation started, the teacher had asked Quinn to put away his "toys" (a Tangle and Silly Putty) so he could concentrate and not be distracted. Q has Asperger's so those things help keep him from being distracted, and I nicely told him that. I loved it that all the moms in the room immediately stood up for Quinn and me and made sure he understood that all kids learn differently and he shouldn't be asked to put away his toys. It made me happy that they understood it without me having to defend our reasons. I love homeschooling!!
February 23rd, 2012, 05:55 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Wow... that's great! You know, the more I read, the more I realize that I have Asperger's, too, and the more I realize how much I love homeschooling.

As a side point, your story reminded me of a trial I made up in high school for one of my classes to prove that kids who color a picture while listening to a story will retain more than those who sit idly while listening to a story. My valid results were thrown out because the teacher thought it was a stupid idea in the first place. Sheesh! Times have changed, for sure!
February 24th, 2012, 09:35 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Awesome!!! Sounds like your in a great group! Are you hs'ing Avery too?
February 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom View Post
Wow... that's great! You know, the more I read, the more I realize that I have Asperger's, too, and the more I realize how much I love homeschooling.

As a side point, your story reminded me of a trial I made up in high school for one of my classes to prove that kids who color a picture while listening to a story will retain more than those who sit idly while listening to a story. My valid results were thrown out because the teacher thought it was a stupid idea in the first place. Sheesh! Times have changed, for sure!
The more we do it, the more I realize that I made the right choice for him. As for the teacher, I can't believe they'd do that! I totally agree though, many children learn better when they are keeping their idle hands busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_mommy View Post
Awesome!!! Sounds like your in a great group! Are you hs'ing Avery too?
We are in a great group! I'm so excited! Avery is not homeschooling right now, but likely will be next year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search