Okay, I'm sure you've heard this before but...

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2012, 01:08 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HELP! I'm really thinking of homeschooling, at least our two older kids ages 13 and 11. A brief background...

We're military...oldest DS has been to 8 different schools and he's only in the 8th grade! He will be entering high school next year. He was NOT accepted for our local magnet/technical school and is very discouraged. We are planning on moving AGAIN this summer and the school we would go to has over 1,500 students. Oh, and he has Asperger's...typical computer-nerd kind of kid that really struggles socially and is bullied a lot. DD is 11 and says she's just over spending hours at school learning stuff that doesn't apply to real life. She doesn't have a lot of friends at school, and says that girls are overly dramatic and care too much about boys (God love her!).
I would not be homeschooling my 9 year old...I'd end up killing him. I say that with the most love in my heart. He is the kind of kid that NEEDS constant attention.

I'm looking at online courses such as Hooked on Schoolhouse but am confused as far as needing/having an umbrella school...paying additional tuition in addition to curriculum...not sure how that works. We live in Maryland BTW.

Where do I start?
Thanks in advance!

Mary

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

March 6th, 2012, 02:04 PM
Jewinjuwa's Avatar We walk by faith
Hi and welcome! I am fairly new to homeschooling, so I have very little advice as far as curricula but I wanted to tell you that I'm HSing an Aspie myself (5 years old) and it's working out wonderfully for him. It was, hands down, the best decision for him. We are using Time4Learning starting this week and so far we like it. My best advice for HSing an Aspie is to cast your net wide. If your DS is like mine, he learns very quickly and never forgets anything either. Instead of blowing through curricula like it's nothing, pull in lots of special interests, field trips, "play groups", and more. Giving my DS lots of things to do is so good for him and he's learning SO MUCH!

Anyway, welcome! Some of the other ladies here will have better advice than me. I'm just too new still to have a good background to draw from.
March 6th, 2012, 04:48 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome! I'm also HS'ing an Aspie. Can't talk right now, but I'll be back later tonight....
March 6th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Butter's Avatar Heather the Mama Duk
I'm in MD, too. What part are you in? You definitely do not need to be part of an umbrella group. It's easy to homeschool here and do reviews with your county. Some counties are easier than others only because the person in charge understands the state's laws. I'll be glad to answer any MD-specific questions you have.

We use Calvert School, btw.

~Heather, wife to Jamie (15 years; June 5, 1998) and mom to
Ani - 14 (February 15, 2000), Cameron - 12 (October 3, 2001),
Fritz - 7 (July 11, 2006), and Adrian - 5 (June 19, 2008)
Smaller on the Outside

March 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Are in Maryland now or is that where you are moving to? When are you planning on starting before or after your move?
March 7th, 2012, 04:52 PM
maryslittlelambs's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We're staying in MD. After talking it over with the kids the HS (Aspie kid) refuses to be home schooled. He says I will be robbing him of the high school experience. DD 11 is all for it. Sigh...nothing is easy right now LOL!
We're in Harford County. I have a friends who home school (one who does the absolute bare minimum if that and just gives the kids passing grades even though several of her old kids can't even read (we're talking 18 and 16 year olds) and her 14 year old is working on 3rd grade workbooks...A few of my other friends are EXTREME homes schoolers. Ugh.

Thank you *kiliki* for the beautiful siggy!

March 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
(Sorry I didn't come back last night!)

I would just let the kids know you want to do a trial period (6 months, a year, whatever), and then decide if HS or PS is the better option. Missing "the high school experience" really isn't an issue in this area. Not sure about there. Here, we have HS proms, etc. They're not really missing anything. We have a huuuuuge homeschool community with all ranges of normal to extreme HS methods, too. I think a community like that would be helpful to you.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search