I am new, a little lost and sorta overwhelmed!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BensMom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Super Mommy
So I just finally got fed up with the school system here who hyper focused on my son's adhd diagnosis. I had experimented with having him on medication to help which started in 2nd grade but now in 5th it is just not working anymore and was causing depression and mood swings. So I took him off his meds, got my child back ( YES! ) but at the same time got to see the terrible side of the school.. I was told repeatedly that I NEEDED to put him back on medication.. I refused.. The meds were causing bad behavior that he was constantly getting kicked out for..

so I said to my son "They can kick you out for not behaving, the can't kick you out for not doing your work" or so I thought.. seeing as how if you don't do your work in class it then becomes homework, if you don't do that you get a zero.. (that is how this still works right??) well not at this school.. They kicked him out for not doing his work. that was it.. no anger issues, no throwing stuff or lashing out like he had been doing on his medication.. just "sitting there not doing anything"

That was the moment I went, Okay I have had enough! They did not accommodate for his advanced testing scores in 2nd grade.. (reading in to 9th grade, math into 6-7th grade) They just focused on the adhd and it has been one big fight ever since..

So here I am.. I have never homeschooled or been homeschooled so I am not familiar with anything.. It has been a week since he has been out and I just figured that since I had not idea what I was doing I would just start with one subject and go from there.. So, based on how he tested in 2nd grade I figured it wouldn't hurt him (now in 5th) to start with Algebra.. We went to the town library, got a book on algebra and here I am.. I read the info the night before and teach it to him the next day.. So far, two days into it he knows the basics and how to do simple equations..

I am still lost tho, I figured I could handle one subject at a time with a 1 year old as well. I am also having him read some sort of book as well.. He reads well and always has, we did "The giver" last summer and he comprehended that very well..

I guess my question is where do I start? I have been looking but just rather confused.. I don't have a very large income to work with either..
March 18th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Super Mommy
I should also mention that I am from Michigan and they have no system for homeschool.. No laws on even reporting so I don't even have laws to work with.
March 19th, 2012, 10:03 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
I met you on the TAG board. So sorry I didn't respond here sooner! We've had company all weekend. I'll come back here soon with a list of free/cheap resources for homeschooling! Welcome!
March 19th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Super Mommy
Thank you, I appreciate the time. It is very interesting having no guidelines to deal with.. makes things rather difficult :\ But at the same time it leaves me wiggle room to learn myself
March 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Found the post I was looking for. Someone asked for something similar a while back, so here it is: http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f3...se-urgent.html (Help please! Urgent!!)

You can also get free (pay shipping) curriculum through Book Samaritan (need based) and FREE Homeschool Curriculum (open to anyone, as long as you offer something as well).
Trinity82 likes this.
March 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I'm new to this myself, so I don't really have any advice, just wanted to tell you good luck, I'm sure it'll go fine!
March 21st, 2012, 09:40 PM
Super Mommy
Thank you both! And thank you for the great list of resources. I am getting familiar with the overall, I am keeping up on math right now because I don't want him to lose that.. and I am going to work in some other things as we go! yay!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search