Homeschooling a Preschooler

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Purrrrrrr's Avatar Semi-crunchy Mommy
Hey Guys,

I'm new to this board and not at all familiar with homeschooling. I've got a 9 month old, just a baby, but I'd like to weigh my options about homeschooling him for preschool or sending him to a preschool. I know some curriculums can get pricey, so I'd rather start thinking about this now rather than later and prepare for the cost. And even if I don't decide to homeschool him, I'd like to have a curriculum for myself to supplement.

What do you like for a preschooler? Any helpful links?

My Boring Blog
March 21st, 2012, 09:28 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome!! You're certainly welcome to ask all the questions you want. There are others here (lurking or posting) who have very young children or no children at all.

A pricy curriculum is totally unnecessary for preschool. Preschool is a time for exploration and learning the basics (colors, shapes, numbers, letters, how to wash hands, when it's appropriate to be crazy and when it's appropriate to sit quietly, etc). Those things are things that you'd teach anyway, regardless of whether you sent you child to a formal preschool program or bought an all-in-one kit. Around here, one month of preschool costs about $750. For that much, I can get enough art supplies, toddler gym memberships, and such to last a whole year!

You can teach things like colors, numbers, shapes, and letters through library books and grocery store trips ("Can you get me the Cheerios, please? Great job! Thank you! What color is the box? What letter does Cheerios start with? What shape is a Cheerio?" etc.) Let a toddler start helping you in the kitchen around age 2 (no knives or heat, but otherwise, everything is fair game). Go to your library's storytime or (if you're religious) to your church's Bible story times to teach your child how and when to sit and pay attention quietly. Constantly ask your son questions, and give clues to help him figure out the answers on his own.

There are lots of fun games you can play to teach preschool skills - computer sites (free), board games (like Candyland), and workbox activities are good examples. (Google homeschooling and either "workbox" or "tot box" to find tons of ideas.)

Here are a few sites you can begin looking at:

Brightly Beaming Resources (curriculum)
Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics (letters, reading, and many other skills that are more on a K-1 level later)
Progressive Phonics - Progressive Phonics (preschool/elementary reading)
Sheppard Software: Fun free online learning games and activities for kids. (a variety of games for all subjects)
Learning Page :: Professionally produced lesson plans, books, worksheets, and much more! (curriculum)
Lesson Pathways: Building Paths for Online Learning (curriculum)

You can also find websites with games and learning tools for your son's favorite shows, books, and characters, like PBS Kids or Dr. Seuss.

Last edited by BensMom; March 21st, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search