My first year of homeschooling approaches!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM
tevinsangel
Hi Ladies,
Well, after alot and I mean alot of thought, my DH and I have decided that I will homeschool our daughter Sydney. I have to tell you, I am so nervous! I am so afraid that I won't be able to teach her well enough and I'm worried that I might "dumb" her down. I know it's only Kindergarten but I just want to give her the best start possible. I really wanted to put her in a private Christian school, but it's just too costly. And everytime I even thought about public school, I just wanted to sit down and cry. I guess if you all don't mind, I have a few questions and I apologize in advance that this is so long.
My daughter just turned 5 and her only sibling is our son, Riley and he is 9 1/2 months old. I worry about being able to put the correct amount of time into properly teaching her while caring for the baby. I also worry about her being lonely. We are literally at home every day, just the three of us while DH works. We usually go to some stores on Saturday and then church on Sundays (it is a small church though, full of mostly elderly people). Do you all put your children in outside activites so that they can have some sort of a social life? I was homeschooled from the 1st grade through the 6th grade and my only sibling was 9 years younger than me and I remember being very lonely.
So any advice that you all would have for a very nervous mom would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for reading this.

Sincerely,

Faith

P.S. We are going with the Abeka homeschool program if anyone is familiar with that.
July 15th, 2006, 07:20 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi Faith, I can't remeber if you posted here before or not as there have been a few new people. If not welcome to the board.

As to the time to teach, really for K it takes very little time, an hour or two at the most. Be very carful with Abeka that you don't find your giving your dd too much sit down 'busy work' unless she is really into workbooks. Make the program work for you, not you working to the program.

With your dd being lonely, has she said she would like more time with other kids? I would if you can find something for your daughter to do, but if she isn't asking I wouldn't just rush into something. Most classes seem to take quite a bit of outlay and time. So I think it pays to find a class or group you think your dd will really like. Maybe see if you can sit in with your dd on a few first.
My dd takes a 'dance fun' class once a week and loves it. She dosn't really get to socialize much for it, but simply having to follow someone elses instructions and line up for things like taking turns at being circus ponys during the class I think is good for her. We just signed her up for the end of year concert they hold and she's quite excited she gets to wear a special costume for that. I don't supose you would want to change churches? Ours has lots of kids for a small church, and I do think it's important that children be able to socialize at church. Have you looked into any home school groups that might be close by? We don't have any here in our small town which is why these other outlets are so important to me. If you can get to a group once a week, that is probably even better then a class.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 15th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Faith,
I was exactly where you are last year. Well, my children were older, but I was nervous about making the move. My children had all been in public school, but we were ready for a change. We have never regretted it...it changed our lives for the better...so much.
As for socialization..nothing speaks better than your own experience.
We joined the Christian Homeschool Association in our area, and it has been wonderful. We do fieldtrips and monthly meetings together. They also have organized sports and all sorts of other things. We also joined a local church that was full of homeschoolers....a very good support system as well.
I am constantly asking friends over for my children...I take turns with them. I do work hard socially because it is important to me. We have managed to keep contact with the friends from school who were the most important to them, as well as making new friends from the homeschool group and new church.
As far as dumbing them down....you can actually smart her up . My boys took the Bob Jones standardized test with the homeschool group this year and both did very well...average and above average. I was very pleased. It was the confirmation I needed to keep going. I really can't relate to having to take care of a baby while homeschooling because mine are all close in age.....10, 8 and 7. I do not want to have any more children for many reasons..one being the interruption of our homeschooling. I know that people do it...and do it well, so I know you will find some role models.
Good luck. I know you will do great. This is a wonderful place for support....I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 16th, 2006, 06:23 AM
tevinsangel
Thank you ladies, for your replies and words of encouragement! I truly appreciate it, makes me feel like I am not alone in this, lol. We are considering looking for a different church to attend. The reason we have even attended this one for so long is that it is my dad's church (he's been the pastor there for almost 10 years). We would have to consider leaving anyway because of gas prices that seem to keep climbing and climbing (it's a 45 min to 1 hour drive one way).
I will definitely look into homeschool associations in my area. I definitely want to find a support group so that I can meet other families who homeschool.
QUESTION: Do we have to "register" or anything with our local school boards? I don't want to get in trouble or anything (I'm in IL). I've looked this up on the internet and I've gotten varied answers. Thanks for your time.
July 16th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi Faith, and welcome! This is also my first year homeschooling. My oldest was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes in November and we were having problems with the public school personnel handling it correctly. I have 3 boys (7 in 11 days, 5 in a month, and 4 in October). My 7 yr old will be doing 2nd grade and I'm going to start my soon-to-be 5 yr old with pre-k stuff (and possibly my soon-to-be 4 yr old if he shows interest). I'm really nervous, too. Not so much about dumbing them down, but handling everything with grace. LOL I worry about getting too stressed out. But I have chosen a hands-on curriculum and I think we're going to have a lot of fun. For example: during our study of the colonial era, we'll be doing stuff like baking bread (which I love to do anyway), making Johnny Cakes, Hasty Pudding, etc. And lots of science experiments, nature walks, art. All things my kids really enjoy. I think this will be a fun year for the kids, and myself. I've looked at the Abeka program (a friend's new stepson did it last year), and it really looked overwhelming to me. I know lots of people use it and it's great for them, but I couldn't do it. Too much sit down work. My kids are too active and really love hands-on learning.
As far as the social aspect of it all, there are a couple of homeschool groups in our area that we are planning to join. Also, my sister homeschools her girls and we have several friends that homeschool as well. I would really recommend finding a local homeschool group. Welcome again, and I hope you have a great 1st year experience.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

July 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Hi there and welcome! We're heading into our second year of homeschooling and my daughter is going ino 1st grade, so last year I was exactly where you are right now. And the funny thing is that this year I'm having some of the same concerns that I had last year, like am I choosing the right curriculum? Am I missing anything? Etc., etc. I hope that gets easier as we go on because it's really stressing me out!

As far as your rules for your state, I'd say to first check out the website for the Board of Education for your state. That would probably give you the most accurate info as to what they require for homeschoolers. Also you can go to the website for the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) and see what they say, although I've found that sometimes their info is a little off.

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you ladies, for your replies and words of encouragement! I truly appreciate it, makes me feel like I am not alone in this, lol. We are considering looking for a different church to attend. The reason we have even attended this one for so long is that it is my dad's church (he's been the pastor there for almost 10 years). We would have to consider leaving anyway because of gas prices that seem to keep climbing and climbing (it's a 45 min to 1 hour drive one way).
I will definitely look into homeschool associations in my area. I definitely want to find a support group so that I can meet other families who homeschool.
QUESTION: Do we have to "register" or anything with our local school boards? I don't want to get in trouble or anything (I'm in IL). I've looked this up on the internet and I've gotten varied answers. Thanks for your time. [/b]
Hi again,
I don't know for sure about your state, but here in Louisiana, I just wrote a letter informing the school that my children would not be back as I would be homeschooling them. Then, I sent a letter to the school board to inform them. Finally, I sent a letter to the state applying for private school status. I think I have to renew that every year....I need to do that.
I hope you find your answers!!!!
July 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Awww, I am so glad your here!

You will not dumb down your child. In fact I think you will be surprised to see how well it can go. I remember feeling the same way. But this year I just started seeing how darn well he is doing and we are on our way to the 2nd grade. The fears from the start are no longer with us. And we KNOW this way is better for him. Now I can homeschool son number 2 without those fears! I so look forward to it!

We also use abeka.

July 16th, 2006, 03:16 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I havn't a clue which state IL is, lol were not all yanks on here!
Here's the HSLD link http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/default.asp hmm from that I'm guesing Illinois. It looks ok, so I'm not sure what they mean by red and action. Sounds like you have a couple of free years up your sleeve anyhow.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 17th, 2006, 09:36 AM
tevinsangel
Thank you for the replies...wow, I must say that this board is probably the only board that has really replied to a question or so graciously welcomed a new person!! My mom told me this morning that one of her friends who homeschools is going to send me some info on different curriculums that she uses. She has 6 kids ranging in age from 18 to 3 years old and she has and is homeschooling them all! Now that takes courage!! And I commend every mom who can homeschool more than one child at a time. Maybe by the time my second one is old enough to homeschool, it won't be so "scary" to me. Thanks for the links, I will be looking that up and checking out my state laws, oh and I forgot that we have some Aussies on the board yes, IL is Illinois. Missy Princess Eha, I think I remember talking to you way back about ABeka. Are there any subjects you would replace with a different curriculum or has it been good so far?
I really like the idea of doing some hands on stuff. I think for my first year at least a curriculum will help me more than my DD. I need something planned out for me and organized, otherwise I get very stressed out..kind of like a fish floundering around..lol.
Thanks again for the responses and I look forward to being apart of your board! It feels very homey in here.
July 17th, 2006, 11:03 AM
I do supplement science with other workbooks that you can buy at say Books-a-million. There just isn't enough to satisfy my son. He loves it. I also don't require him to do the WHOLE writing assignment each day. He hates that. Which I hear is common amoung boys. It took the ladies here telling me it was okay to move things around and omit some things to make it work for us. I was scared to death! But once I did that we haven't had the bad school days. Just know that you don't need to do all the things they tell you to do. And school should not take forever. And it should be fun!

July 17th, 2006, 12:34 PM
tevinsangel
That will become my motto "It should be fun!" I know that I tend to stress out if I don't "follow by the book". I guess I have to remember that this will be "my school" and I will be the teacher and that we can't be put into a cookie cutter mold. I believe that will probably be one of the greatest things about homeschooling, I can individualize it for my daughter. I'll probably be coming here fairly often for advice..lol..that's just a pre-warning.
July 17th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Well we will love having you here.

July 18th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Jenneve's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you like the idea of hands-on learning, check out My Father's World. That's what we're going to use. Also, it comes with a teacher's lesson plan book with everything already planned out for you. You just have to go through and see if there's anything you'll need to do in advance and what supplies you'll need. For 2nd grade, it doesn't include math or language arts so I needed to get something seperate for those subjects. We're really excited about it.
Jared 8/25/01
Justin 10/18/02

My blogs...
Fishers of Men *UPDATED 8/7/09*
Truely Scrumptious Cakes *UPDATED 7/28/09*

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search