HELLLLLLP!!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2006, 12:38 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
I think I'm gonna give myself an ulcer over this!

OK, has anyone here used Lifepac's for history or science? Or any other subject, for that matter? If so, what did you think of it? Like i? Not? Why did you like/dislike it?
What about BJU? Has anyone used that?
I don't want to skip around with curriculums each year and had planned to use Horizon's for math and The Story of the World - Vol. 1 for history, but now I'm second guessing myself and wondering if these others are better. Plus, I read that Lifepac's history really looks at history from a biblical perspective while SOTW is a little watered down in that respect....SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

July 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM
MissyPrincessEha's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I am no help!

I have only used abeka history. And that was just this year. Kinder we did our own thing. But history wasn't a big part of it.

July 16th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Shery's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad to see that I am not the only one struggling with decisions right now. I was doing just fine until I hit Science. I am putting together my own Science curriculum using different books. I printed out the comprehensive curriculum for our school system for their grades and am hitting on all of the subjects that are listed. As for History, I am doing The Story of the U.S.A. Books 1 & 2 with them. I have already read both of them myself!! Also, I ordered McMillan/McGraw Hill Social Studies books for them that also cover alot of what they will be learning in History..only a little deeper. So see, I really just do my own thing. Science takes the most work for me, but they love it. They also scored well on the Science and History parts of their standardized tests they took, so that encouraged me to keep doing what I am doing . I felt like it was my report card coming in the mail the day that the grades came in!!!
I hope you find what you are looking for!!!
July 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM
LadyBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what grades?and what are you looking for in history?

i have used bju,alpha omega,konos,and abeka for elementary,middle,and high school

this year we are using learning adventures

if you want christain based text books with lots of facts (i would do bju we loved it!!my #1 choice if i do not do unit studies!!!!we love bju and the heritage studies are great)

if you want hands on lots of activities go with konos( love this if you like unit studies this is so much fun)

if you want the basics with a christain view go with alpha omega(this is dry for some families we added library books and activities)we like it and it was easy for me with planning,grading,ect

my kids hate abeka it just did not work for us for ANY subject we do however love the readers for pleasure reading i found the 1&2nd grade history and science lacking

if you have a question on any of those just ask
July 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM
joandsarah77's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll recomend the same one to you as I did to I think it was mother bird?
http://www.christiancottage.com/units.html It is Christian and combines history and science and is what I would buy if I didn't write my own.
I believe it is written for a range of ages.

"Cats are keen, cats are great, cats are clean they lick your plate."
July 17th, 2006, 07:23 AM
fka teresarunningmommy
We are going to be using Learning Adventures in the fall too. It's not for younger kids though. I have used BJU and Abeka in the past as well as SOTW. My kids didn't like SOTW. It was not keeping their attention. I have used KONOS in the past too. I like them a lot too.

Teresa

Check out my running blog - Wannabe Running Mama
July 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM
KarateMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KarateMom
Thanks for all your feedback!
I think that we're actually going to forego "formal" history and science for 1st grade and just do small unit studies here and there. (Pilgrims at Thanksgiving, etc.) We're going to continue to improve reading, writing (grammar, spelling, etc.) and math. I was just stressing out about it too much!

You're never fully dressed without a SMILE!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search