New here!

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By lpimentel
  • 1 Post By noworries
  • 1 Post By in_mommy
  • 1 Post By ady's mommy
  • 1 Post By 2Corinthians10:4
  • 1 Post By BensMom
  • 1 Post By *~Amber~*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2012, 08:27 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Hello! I'm Krissandra (22), wife to Jimmy (28), and mom to Caleb (4/30/10) and Lucas (11/3/11). We were thinking about homeschooling since we're not at all impressed with the public schooling system around here, and then when we found out that WV is one of only two states which doesn't have any refusal-to-vaccinate waivers, that confirmed it for us, because that means our kids won't be able to attend public school, anyway. So, I'll be looking into resources and finding ideas for when we start pre-k next year with Caleb. Nice to 'meet' you all!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Welcome! Congratulations on your decision I'm Chantelle, and my kiddos are Alyssa (4.5), Rylan (3), and Sophia (10 months), #4 will be arriving in September! I'm sure you'll find lots of great information and ideas here!

And I thought all states had those waivers, crazy that they don't even give you an option on that!
May 12th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Welcome

I'm Michelle. I have three kiddos. Alexis is 13, Alyssia is 11 and Leo is 8. There are tons of resources available here on the board-check out the stickies and resource areas too. Lots of great stuff.

There are also quite a few other moms who are currently, or will be, homeschooling younger ones as well. I'm sure if you have any questions, they'd be more than happy to help out!
May 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hey Krissandra !

Lovely to meet you! I am Beanie (25) Mum to Puddles who is two and a half. Puddles will be / is being home schooled, He does go to nursery 2 afternoons a week but its all play based, he will not be going to school thou. I was Homeschooled through most of highschool, and after seeing the two options I would never put Puddles in to a main stream school!
May 12th, 2012, 05:31 PM
christianmommato3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to christianmommato3 Send a message via Yahoo to christianmommato3
welcome to the group

May 12th, 2012, 06:41 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome!! There are tons of free resources out there, especially for the little guys (some great stuff all the way through high school, but most is younger). What are you wanting to teach, exactly? Are you wanting to kinda keep it fun and have child-led interest learning, or do you want a full blown curriculum, or what? Do you have a budget in mind? Do you sort of have a feel yet what style you'll ultimately teach with as the kids get older? (more textbook-like, more project based, more library book based, etc.)
May 12th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Jill0924's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jill0924
Welcome! I am Jill, Mommy to twins who just turned 4. We are beginning some kindergarten things this year. You will love the ladies on this board... they are so sweet and helpful!

May 12th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I'm glad that this board doesn't seem to be 'dead.' It's always disappointing to try to find help/support for something and get next to no replies, lol. In any case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
What are you wanting to teach, exactly? Are you wanting to kinda keep it fun and have child-led interest learning, or do you want a full blown curriculum, or what? Do you have a budget in mind? Do you sort of have a feel yet what style you'll ultimately teach with as the kids get older? (more textbook-like, more project based, more library book based, etc.)
I'm definitely interested in a curriculum with textbooks, only because I'll enjoy having the structured guidelines (I don't really trust myself to make up the best education for them). However, I want to allow the boys to guide me, as well, going at their own speeds, and I'll be doing activities, field trips, etc, that are outside the curriculum. I'm also planning on teaching them some basics in a second language, which will either be on the side, or part of the curriculum if that's available. I took German in high school and still have all my text books and workbooks, so that will be fun! I'll be so excited to teach them something which means a lot to me. It's something that I can start now while they're so young with their sponge-like brains. I'm not too concerned with finances since we still have a couple years to save up, and we already have a nice little chunk started. So, I'll definitely be buying through an organization that will send me the books.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
May 12th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Veteran
Hi I'm Miguel's mommy also from WV. I know of a couple of people who home school because of the vaccinations rules. A special thing about wv is they let you use there texts and work books if requested by first week of June.
krissy1989 likes this.
May 14th, 2012, 08:07 AM
noworries
Welcome. I'm Carrie, mommy to Eva (4) and Isaac (1.5). I've just recently started doing some Kindergarten with Eva and we're both loving it.
krissy1989 likes this.
May 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
Welcome!!! I look forward to getting to know you better!

I know this wont apply to you now, but make sure you know the laws, HSLDA | Home School Laws.
krissy1989 likes this.
May 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! I am Junett and we homeschool our daughter, Adalyn in PA. I taught public school for 10 years and when Ady was bored in school we decided to pull her out and teach her at home. She is in first grade this year.
krissy1989 likes this.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
May 16th, 2012, 05:43 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome! I'm Meagan, mama to 4 year old Addi. Good luck on your homeschool endeavors, the ladies here are great!
krissy1989 likes this.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

May 16th, 2012, 06:31 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by krissy1989 View Post
Thank you for all the warm welcomes! I'm glad that this board doesn't seem to be 'dead.' It's always disappointing to try to find help/support for something and get next to no replies, lol. In any case...

I'm definitely interested in a curriculum with textbooks, only because I'll enjoy having the structured guidelines (I don't really trust myself to make up the best education for them). However, I want to allow the boys to guide me, as well, going at their own speeds, and I'll be doing activities, field trips, etc, that are outside the curriculum. I'm also planning on teaching them some basics in a second language, which will either be on the side, or part of the curriculum if that's available. I took German in high school and still have all my text books and workbooks, so that will be fun! I'll be so excited to teach them something which means a lot to me. It's something that I can start now while they're so young with their sponge-like brains. I'm not too concerned with finances since we still have a couple years to save up, and we already have a nice little chunk started. So, I'll definitely be buying through an organization that will send me the books.
Sorry I didn't get back to you immediately. It's been crazy around here.

For a boxed, purchased curriculum, I really like the preschool stuff from Abeka and/or Horizons. It's pretty expensive, but I like it. Here are some free options as well:

Learning Page :: Professionally produced lesson plans, books, worksheets, and much more!
Lesson Pathways: Building Paths for Online Learning
Homeschool for Free - LiveBinder (click PreK/Kinder at the top right, and then tab over the resources that pop up below)
Starfall's Learn to Read with phonics (there is a paid version of this that includes math, shapes, etc., but the reading part is free)
krissy1989 likes this.

Last edited by BensMom; May 21st, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
May 16th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi I am Amber, soon to be homeschooling again. I have 5 kids ranging in age from 8.5yrs to 7.5months. I am not here any where near as often as I should be.
krissy1989 likes this.
A-6yrs 3/08
J-4.5yrs 11/09
K 2.5yrs 9/11
And
L-7/12/14!!!!

May 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Thanks again for all the awesome welcomes! You ladies are great! And thank you so much for those resources, Chrystal. I really liked what I read! And, Jenn, thank you so much for posting the WV home schooling laws; even though we're not quite there, I read through them and learned a thing or two. You're all helping me to be prepared for the years to come!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search