Animal rescue...?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Yeah apparently that's what we are now, lol.

Most of you know about the toads we were raising. In fact, we did raise, and released them earlier this spring back to where they came from. Except some of them that were adopted out to other families. So it should probably come as no surprise that we have a new visitor in our house. But this one wasn't brought in for educational purposes(though we can easily make it that).

While fishing at one of their favorite places to fish the kids found a little baby fighting to survive....

A baby snapper, that is.

Now George has a new home in our kitchen, lol. He seems to be doing very well, and adapting well too. I'll have to get pics of him later. I didn't want to frighten him with the flash, he seems very skidish. Or he did anyway, now he's not, he'll come right to me. He's quite adorable. I'm pretty sure he was released by someone who either didn't know what he was, or simply wasn't prepared to raise him. He was in a pretty unusual place for a turtle, but typical for dumping of unwanted animals. He's not the first animal we've found there.

Apparently the kids have decided they can, and will, rescue any animal they find, lol. I did the same thing to my mom growing up, and we had a zoo, this should be fun.
May 27th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
haha thats wonderful. hubby found a painter turtle in the road so he rescued it and we took it to a friends pond. our cat trashcan showed up one night in our trashcan, my kids fed him and now he wont leave and hes so nice and seems to have become best friends with my son so hes staying. we rescued some baby raccoons from our barn when their mom got hit. ditto with some baby squirrels which we had to hand feed for 2 days before we found a rescue which would take them. we have a gecko named she-ra which we took off our friends hands 2 years ago, my son catches her crickets in the summer and we buy her some during the other seasons. we had lucky, a green terror and hoover a plecostamus which survived the bradleigh massacres of 08 but succumbed to ick 2 months ago. about 20 guppies because they cant stop breeding. we had more but they also died of ick but the babies survived and grew up. oh and we had 8 chickens which were free roaming when we moved here but they have since died since we had no idea they were3 free roaming so the foxes couldnt get them, and they got them when we put them in the coop. i'm sure there is more but thats all i can think of for now. my husband now wants goats and/or sheep

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

May 27th, 2012, 09:07 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Gotta have some pix!! I live vicariously through your rescue effots.
May 28th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Here we go....

Meet George

May 30th, 2012, 06:43 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
Awww! I've never seen a turtle like that one! You're one brave Mama for taking in all those animals!
May 30th, 2012, 07:05 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How adorable! Our family has a history of stopping on a highway or road to get a turtle trying to cross the street and taking them over to my MIL's pond lol, we can't stand the thought of them getting run over.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

May 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Welcome to the group! Nice to meet you, George!
May 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
lol

He's doing really well. The kids love feeding him because he'll come right to you when it's time to eat. I've never met a more mild mannered snapper before in my life. It's like his instincts never kicked in. Poor little guy would have never made it on his own. He would have become food for some other animal.
May 30th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Super Mommy
OMG how adorable is he! Hello George! I had to laugh at the take in and release of frogs because my son on a recent trip to a near by spring fed lake decided to catch some tad poles so we are feeding and watching them grow! I love this! He wants to get some books on amphibians tomorrow when we go to the library! Our cat was a stray and just recently a black and white kitty has been hanging around, very skittish but my son says looks very skinny. He is the only one to get close so far other then our cat.. so he has been feeding her. We may have a new cat soon but I can't help but swell when I see all these kids and the pet rescues! I did the same when I was little and it just makes them so much more of caring individuals in the future! Go pet rescue!
May 31st, 2012, 01:07 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Yes most definitely. Every single animal we've ever had has been some kind of rescue. We have two cats right now, both of which were rescued. I really wouldn't want it any other way though. We love animals. It's my goal to someday have enough land to own a lot of animals(of course making sure we only own that which we can provide for).

We have a few stray cats here we feed regularly. There is a lady who lives not far from here who gets all the feral cats she finds fixed. She feeds them too, lol. So at least by feeding them I'm not contributing to more unwanted kittens, just making sure those without homes still get food. We just have to be careful because there's also a lot of other wildlife here, lol. They'll take advantage of being fed if not careful.

I'm a sucker for animals though.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search