working?

Forum: Homeschooling

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Homeschooling LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
do any of you guys work? i really want to homeschool my son but as you can see beside my name i live in michigan. and its one of the worst places for jobs. i was under the impression i wasnt going to work but hubby says finances just arent well enough off for me to not work at all. so i'm lost as to what to do

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

May 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Most of my IRL homeschool friends work (including myself). It can be done. You may have to work part time, alternate schedules, and even put your kids on a weird schedule (nothing wrong with doing math at 2 a.m. and sleeping at 2 p.m.!), but you can make it work if you really want to.

I used to have a "real job" (salary + benefits) working from home. I did that for several years, but working 50-60 hr weeks caught up to me when baby #2 came along. I quit for a year before starting my own business. I'm still pretty stressed sometimes, but we make it work. Due to the nature of my business, I'm much busier in the Fall than Spring, so we do more school work in the Spring than in the Fall. We also work a bit over the summer, but it's a lifestyle that works well for us. We're really happy with it.
May 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
we did diagnostic testing to see where he was. he would be second grade for public school and for 3 subjects he was labeled 3rd grade and 2 were for halfway through second so i'm not too worried about falling behind or anything. preferably i would be able to stay home and devote all my time to them but it doesnt look like its possible for another 5 years. i'm going to look into things tuesday

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

May 28th, 2012, 04:17 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
I work as a doula. My husband works Sundays through Thursdays (he's a priest) and has Fridays and Saturdays off. So I hold meetings on our "weekends." And his schedule is flexible for when I am called into births, so that he can be home with the kids. I try not to leave lessons for him to do with them, because he's sort of a mean teacher and usually puts us behind because he's not quite patient enough to teach while he's giving the lessons. He just wants the kids to "do the work" that I leave. He doesn't realize that he's got to teach it to them and work with them most of the time So I just leave coloring sheets, handwriting, or something "fun" when I'm gone to work.

May 28th, 2012, 08:12 AM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Glad I'm not the only one!! Dad's a principal at our house too... not much of a patient teacher.
May 28th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I work from home. The hours vary, depending on whatever it is I am doing. But I rather enjoy it. I do all sorts of things, my primary "job" is content for various virtual environments(games, worlds, etc..), my secondary "job" is graphic design. Most people either laugh or give me a weird look when they hear that though, so I usually stick with "I work online", lol. I have hobbies too which occasionally bring in fundage, but, I don't count on them.

It's not a high paying gig(rather, gigs) at all times, but it does what I need it to do. For now, money isn't nearly as important as most other things. As long as we've got the basics, it's all good by me. We've survived on far less.
But I'm also extremely frugal, with, well, everything. That helps us out tremendously. We have less expenses than a lot of people probably do, too. There are a lot of ways to save money people just don't think about, or don't want to think about. But I could go off on a tangent with that, so I probably shouldn't, lol.
I could write a book about it, which is why I am doing just that
May 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
After being a SAHM for 12 years I went back to work part-time for the cable company. Right now I work 5pm-9pm with Thursdays and Saturdays off. The time frame is ideal, the pay is amazing, I pay $55 for a $300 cable/internet/phone package, and I have a corporate membership to almost all the museum and cultural places here in NYC. My days are free for academics, field trips, and errands. Dh is home by 6 and makes dinner.

It works for us. I was nervous about going back to work, but it all worked out. I've been there for over 6 years. If ds(11) decides to go to high school in a few years, I'll probably go full time (8:30-5pm), mainly to get the pension and the fantastic medical insurance.

So, I would suggest looking for something part-time when your dh can be home with the kids. My 18 year-old just started a new part-time job and brings home over $200/week. Take what you can find. Good Luck!
May 31st, 2012, 06:35 PM
in_mommy's Avatar I am just me
I would sort of like to look for something part time, but hubbys hours are to unpredictable and then he rotates between day/night shift every 4 months. So we make do with what we have and I just do my little business on the side.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search